Sign in to follow this  

3-5k' Jetting Confirmation

Okay guys - for those of you in the know - just to confirm, If at 1000' I'm running a 132 / 45 / 4th without baffles, If I go to 3000'-5000', I'd just change the 132 to a 128 or so, right? Or should I just leave it alone? What are the symptoms of a bike running rich (other than spark plug color)? Will it be a big deal?

Well, if I did my calculations correct, you should be running a 128 main, 42 pilot, and the fuel screw out about 1.5 turns, and the needle in the 4th clip. Now that is assuming that your temperature is about 68 degrees. If it is less or more let me know.

But a rich running bike will make the bike less responsive, more gas wasted, etc etc...

Your main jet will only make a difference when you are running the bike at wide open throttle. How many seconds do you hold it wide open during the entire day ?? I'm fairly certain you would not be able to detect ANY difference between the 128 and the 132 main jet during your ride. I say leave it alone, and go ride..........

Your main jet will only make a difference when you are running the bike at wide open throttle. How many seconds do you hold it wide open during the entire day ?? I'm fairly certain you would not be able to detect ANY difference between the 128 and the 132 main jet during your ride. I say leave it alone, and go ride..........

A lot of people ride these bikes wide open a lot.

Jets are only 3 dollars and take up a couple minutes of your time anyways...

A lot of people ride these bikes wide open a lot.

I'm certain many people do pin their throttles for a few seconds at a time when off roading. The Motard guys much longer. I don't feel Lunchboy will be able to tell any difference between a 132 and a 128 main even if he rode it in Motard fashion at 5000 ft....

Lunchboy, what kind of riding Do you enjoy with your bike most often ?? Sounds like mountain trails and fire roads at that elevation.

yeah, probably not too much wide open when I get to Moab, but I'm stopping to ride at the track in Berthoud, so quite a bit wide open. but i'm only riding there for an hour or 2. and then i'm coming back home next week to my 1000'.

I run from 4K to 10K and found that with the 132, it would not run past 1/2 RPM with the choke 1/2 on at only 4K. Changed to 128, runs much better.