Corbin seat doesn't fit

I received my Corbin seat this past week and went out to the garage to put it on today. It doesn't fit. The hook at the front of the seat is positioned such that while mounting the seat it barely engages the tang on the back of the gas tank. As soon as you bump the seat, sit on it, or put the least amount of pressure on the seat the front pops loose. Pushing down on the front of the seat will get it to engage again, but just barely, as soon as you bump it the front pops loose again.

I've never removed the tank on my bike, it's still fairly new and I've not had a need to yet. My question is, is there enough slack in the mounting points of the tank to move it back a bit to let that tang engage the hook in the front of the seat?

Thanks for any help!

I do not normally say such things but in this case...

like i said in the other thread.....i dont understand the fixation with corbin.they are terrible. ?

ive never sat a corbin seat that didnt suck.ive never understood the fixation with them. ?

but some people love them......hey whatever works. ? :cry:

You did get warned ?

Really though,,,, the above post is dead on,, for what you guys paid for that seat,, it should be a perferct fit ? Nothing less IMHO..

I give up. After a few hours of trying everything possible it appears that the front catch on the seat, the one that should slide under the tang on the back of the gas tank, is positioned too far back to do its job. With a bit of cussing I can get it up under the tang enough to hold but then the bolt holes at the back of the seat do not line up, the brackets on the seat are about 1/4" too far forward.

I called the factory (their website says they are open on Saturday till noon) a few minutes ago but no one there is answering the phone. After trying several extensions the phone either rings and rings for several minutes or I get voice mail. I've sent an email asking for advice or a return authorization, I don't have all day to sit around waiting for a phone call, I'm going riding on the old seat!

Correct me if I'm wrong here....But is'n the Corbin Facility on Main st. In Daytona Beach,FL I've NEVER seen them open On a Saturday, Except duing Bike events. and They Are getting reddy to get nailed by hurricane Jeanne. so You may not get a hold of them for a while.

Hollister CA.

Please let us know how this turns out.

Corbin seats are kind of weird. Some people love them, some hate them. I'll say this though, their Concours seat is all good ?

I'm hoping this is just a goof and they make a decent seat to replace the 2x4 POS the DRZ comes with. ?

Corbin seats are kind of weird. Some people love them, some hate them.

Agreed! I've had a few Corbin seats on my previous bikes ranging from CBR's to Ducati's. They were all too expensive and yet somehow worth it. I think it has to do with how stiff you like your seat. I like German car seats, but a lot of people complain that they feel like sitting on concrete. To each his own ?

Corbin seats are kind of weird. Some people love them, some hate them.

Agreed! I've had a few Corbin seats on my previous bikes ranging from CBR's to Ducati's. They were all too expensive and yet somehow worth it. I think it has to do with how stiff you like your seat. I like German car seats, but a lot of people complain that they feel like sitting on concrete. To each his own ?

I was thinking about a Corbin for my ZZR1200 maybe I shouldnt? My DRZ seat is just fine

The Corbin seat has a piece of flat metal that should fit under the top mount on the gas tank. That piece of metal is too low or far back from the gas tank mount. The mount on the gas tank has a little lip on the bottom edge. If you bend that lip down it should just fit. On the other hand if you take the seat, drill out the two pop rivits and move that flat piece of metal up (forward to fit) 1/8th of an inch, redrill and pop rivit to fit you are good to go. All this not with standing the fact that it should fit right from the factory. I hope they help you out. Corbin's ride in service is open on Saturday and they seem very responsive and eager to please. I think they just missed this critical ? alignment on their first proto type.

The Corbin seat has a piece of flat metal that should fit under the top mount on the gas tank. That piece of metal is too low or far back from the gas tank mount. The mount on the gas tank has a little lip on the bottom edge. If you bend that lip down it should just fit.

I tried that. Bending down that lip gives about 1/16" extra length to the tang, but even that wasn't enough to hold the front of the seat. As for any drilling or repositioning of the catch on the seat, I'll let Corbin do that. Thanks for the suggestion but I've already tried it. I think part of the problem is that Corbin put two rubber bumpers even with the catch on the front of the seat and you have to compress the hell out of them to get that tab under the tang on the tank. With such a small portion of the tang over that plate it just won't hold with those rubber bumpers pushing the plate away from the tank. The stock seat has the rubber pads further down the back of the tank.