Sign in to follow this  

CRF rear shock seized

Ok, this is new to me. I have seen a lot of things, but when my rear shock on my CRF seized, and would not move even with two of us jumping on it there's a problem.

I took it apart, and found that there was some debris inside. My problem is this: The damper body is scored, and I mean badly. probably like .0015" through the anodizing.

Can I hone the body, to save some capital, or do I have to pony up $$ and sacrifice the rest of the season?

Thanks

Eman

i have had some jammed shocks brought to me for repair,---all the ones i have seen were either just run to death and never mantained or serviced incorrectly and failed due to improper assembly-------and all of them needed a body, seal head ,and shaft with piston, and lotts of tlc to make them safe and work correctly,----sometimes it was cheeper to get a new shock ,-------you need to make it safe and correct and ck all the other componuts of the rear, --i.e. linkedg berrings and bolts ,-----and if the rear did this what kind of condition is the ft fork in , these things take alot of work money and care to keep safe and not hurt you and or someone else. i know this is not what you wanted to hear but i have seen too many people hurt because of mechanical issue and trying to save money .

You could just get a new shock body. I don't have the price list with me right now but it would definately be alot cheaper than buying a new shock. I will check the book tommorrow and see how much they go for.

well long before it jammed it was wearing a flat spot on the piston and seal all around and when you order the piston or seal or seal head you get the whole shaft piston and valving and head ,-----so you could price out a body and shaft, and or a shock assembly compleat with spring and berrings and all new internalls.--------if the inside has been this thrashed , the berrings, spring bladder and valving all are wore out also.

shawn is right i have purchased suspension there also off of bikes being used for quads . one of my buddys got a whole rolling chassis for a never ridden 03 crf for $1600

I've seen several of these this year that had the rubber top out bumper in the seal hd. come apart and make a mess throughout the shock.

doc