Sign in to follow this  

Your favorite tire?

I've been running the dunlop 739 on high-altitude single track, pretty rocky, often technical. :cry:

But I would love to hear what tires everyone else loves. I was considering trying the 756 RR :cry:

I've been running the dunlop 739 on high-altitude single track, pretty rocky, often technical. :cry:

But I would love to hear what tires everyone else loves. I was considering trying the 756 RR :cry:

I won't give you any advice on what to run in rocks, but I can tell you what NOT to use. The 756RR is intended for soft/intermediate terrain and won't be a good choice for you.

"I won't give you any advice on what to run in rocks, but I can tell you what NOT to use. The 756RR is intended for soft/intermediate terrain and won't be a good choice for you."

Obviously it will wear out fast, which I can live with. Otherwise why is it a bad choice?

Why would you want to run a SOFT terrain tire in HARD terrain? :cry:

Get a tire for what the type of terrain you will be riding.

I really like the MT450, it hooks up in all conditions but wears extremely fast for a Hard terrain tire. I can waste it in 2-3 rides EASY depending on conditions. I've got a Maxxis IT out in the garage that I will be putting on next. I might even put on a Maxxis IT front as well. Anyone try one of these? I will be running mostly sand next race so I may wait and just put another Pirelli MT44 on for now.

I ran a Mxxis HT and liked it, and I'm mounting an IT right now. But they are so damn hard to mount and handle that I'll never run another one. I'll go back to D739FA's.

Any michelin. MH2 is the best though

Ditto.

Michelin M12 (intermediate terrain) H12 (hard/rock terrain) seem to be some of the best around.

Later,

Dan

How are the Michelin S12's for both the front and rear? I'm in Florida, mostly sandy/some muddy conditions and I have Dunlop 752's on the front and rear now. I'm wondering if I should go with the S12's or Dunlop 773's next? Also, the IRC M5B looks like a great rear tire for my CR500. Any opinions on moving to a wider rear tire over a narrower tire as well?

Thanks,

Scott

TY for input.

I was thinking about the dunlop RR because it is designed for low air pressures, which i like.

The soft/intermediate/hard seems to indicate the softness of the the compound more than anything else.

The S12 should work but if its all mud/sand then try the starcross MS2. works great in mud, the knobs are huge and like all michelins they last for a long time.

The IRC VE-33 is the best tire I've ever used for a variety of terrain. It is reasonably priced and wears a long time as well.

I run the bridgestone m202/m201 and they rock. I have 3 rides on them and only the back shows some wear. The back hooks up awesome in all terain, but the front seems a little skitish on hardpack. I used to have dunlop 739's becasue they came stock on my bike. All i can say is any tire is better than the d739. Good luck with your next choice.

Ok this time I'm going with Dunplop 756 front and Mich M12 rear.

TY again for input

I'm not sure where you are but the Maxxis IT rear is awesome here in Colorado in the rocky, nasty stuff and cheap. I'm trying one on the front next time.

Ok this time I'm going with Dunplop 756 front and Mich M12 rear.

I'm among the least qualified to render an opinion about a tire, but I can say that the 756 front, while @ home on a nicely prep'd soft (read loam not powder w/ a hard base) track works great. Get it anywhere near hard stuff and those "sharp" and pointed side knobbies won't do much for you. I installed mine for a nicely prep'd track, but the track I practice on has hard/slipery/powdery spots like I mentioned and the front can be all over the place if yer not careful. Knowing what I know now, I would not use the 756 front for anything even approaching hard - period.

i have good luck with other people's worn out tires. i can usually get another 500 or so miles out of them, and they're free. unfortunately, they can be hard to come by.

for trailriding, i'll use almost anything, but x11 trials is my favorite. (sand, dirt, rock, soft, hard, intermediate, not much mud tho).

for racing in norcal/idaho i've been happy with s12's (although i'm experienting with some maxxis si's and kenda southwicks that have a larger air volume in the front). for desert racing i think i'll like the maxxis IT, but i haven't raced it yet.

mw

Was going to try a maxis IT rear, but rocky mtn atc was out of them.

Guys up here love the 756 front, but I will report.

Love to hear the tire input keep it coming :cry: