decent tq wrench for our bikes??

When I was in the Navy, we had to keep our torque wrenches calibrated every 6 months(torpedoes like precise torque values)and if you dropped or even bumped the wrench good on something, it was put out of service until it was recalibrated.I got one from Home Depot and it can be sent in for recals for a small fee.To be honest,though,I just go by the "feels right" method on most fasteners.There were forum threads over the years that revealed errors in torque values from the manufacturers.It's infuriating to try to do the job right with the right tools and specs and then strip out your threads because the specs are wrong.There is also the debate over use of anti-sieze and the wrench must be held in a specific way to be accurate.My wrist is my torque wrench now for most fasteners and if I do torque bolts,I set the dial a couple pounds shy of the specs.

Just because it reads 6ft lbs does not make it accurate...you might wanan check up on that...the regulation that certifies them allows for alot of slop at the extremes of the wrench.

I realize that, but this torque wrench IS accurate, even at its extremes, thats why I'm using a 50 year old hand me down from my grandpa over the shiny new fangled ones at Sears.

whoever mentioned dropping a torque wrench will screw up its calibration is right on... so will using extensions, adapters, swivels, or even too much loctite/anti-seize/oil/rust on the threads. A single drop of oil on dry clean threads is the most accurate method.

Most pawn shops have SnapOn and Matco torque wrenches in them. Some will read inch AND foot pounds.

I have one for inch and one for foot. Foot model cost me 80 beans.

The inchpound dial model lists in the cat. for $265.00, and I got it for 15 bucks. ? :cry:

So you basicaly went to the flea market ?

Most pawn shops have SnapOn and Matco torque wrenches in them. Some will read inch AND foot pounds.

I have one for inch and one for foot. Foot model cost me 80 beans.

The inchpound dial model lists in the cat. for $265.00, and I got it for 15 bucks. ? :cry:

So you basicaly went to the flea market ?

"Thno bayabaybee nyou mwenn thoo da fweee mamakhh".

Whatever. I've been dragged to 3 flea markets in 40 years.

I've been to a thousand pawnshops.

Drug dealers, addicts and drunks like to buy great stuff,

then panic and dump it when they run low on dope and booze.

I'm glad to help out. ? 15 bucks for a new 265-dollar SnapOn is not going to happen a a "fwee mamamkhh", Wanker. ?

ATK makes a really good torque wrench for the money, I paid about $35 for a 10-100 lb click type a couple of years ago. I use it professionaly and it is holding up well. I use inch lb for anything under 10-15 lb, or more often just feel. I bought mine at a local parts store, not sure where to get them. On my KTM I use the German torque method... everything needs to be Guten-Tite!