Sign in to follow this  

Big Question!?Fuel Injection

What do u think when will be fuel injection avaiable for motocross/offroad/enduro machines?Almost all new cars have injection.I have seen few 2 stroke scooters with Direct Fuel injection.They rule!I dont mean olny using FI on 4stroke but on 2stroke too.The current 2stroke DFI engines are economical than current carburated 4strokes.C mon !!

The 2stroke FI is spread at boat engines!

Give us your opinion !

some bikes already come with Fuel injection. You can get Fuel injection for most bikes as far as I know. I think GP Control sells fuel injection systems.

doesn't fuel injection add weight versus a carburetor? if so, thats the stupidest idea i have ever heard. if they do come out with it, hopefully not on mx bikes.

Yep, there has to be a battery and a fuel pump, those add weight.

I'd like to see the trail bikes and dual sports get FI but I don't see it happening on MX bikes anytime soon. The added wieght is a big negative, and the pluses (no need to rejet) isnt all that important to a MX rider who has a personal mechanic that lives to work on the bike.

You don't need a battery for fuel injection. There are mechanical injectors that work off the motor and they don't weigh very much either. It would add a small amount of weight but the performance improvement would be significant.

FI would be the best thing to hit the MX world. the bikes would run so cherry if they had it. especially up at my altitude.(8000 ft.) there is no way to get rid of bog up here. with FI the computer would do it all. it would be awesome. i hope it comes soon.

I sell marine outboard motors for a living. Let me tell you, that DI(direct injection) is not the solution! (I sell motors that are DI too) They vibrate a ton, smoke more than a 4 stroke, and I don't care what those canadiens say, they DO NOT have better fuel efficiency. Suzuki of all takers, is whiping everyone's ass in outboards because they have small, light, fuel injected outboards that run like a swiss watch.

I personally think Fuel injection would be a huge asset to off road bikes. There is no tinkering for altitude, barometric pressure, cold or hot, they run the same no matter what. Why wouldn't you want that?

:cry:

You don't need a battery for fuel injection. There are mechanical injectors that work off the motor and they don't weigh very much either. It would add a small amount of weight but the performance improvement would be significant.

Even mechanical injectors would need high fuel pressure, wich would require a battery and electric fuel pump.

Funny how FI is being thought of as an "idea" in this thread when they have been on Cannondales and GasGas 400s for years.

I would love to have FI! Not having to mess with that friggin' FCR carb would be great.

Funny how FI is being thought of as an "idea" in this thread when they have been on Cannondales and GasGas 400s for years.

I would love to have FI! Not having to mess with that friggin' FCR carb would be great.

And the Honda trials bike using the 250f or 450f motor.

Even mechanical injectors would need high fuel pressure, wich would require a battery and electric fuel pump.

Every airplane I fly that has FI is mechanically injected. There is no computer, there is no primary electric pump. There are electric fuel pumps but they are back ups in case the mechanical one goes. So I fail to see how you need a battery in this sitaution. Don't need a computer either, just one screw to adjust the mixture for density altitudes.

If I lose all power in the airplane, just threw the battery out the door. The engines still run. No electricity required for a mechanical injection system. None needed either to make the engine fire for that matter.

I think you have this misconception stuck in your mind about what this is. Mechanical injection is done by a fuel pump than runs off the engine. We adjust the mixture manually inside the bird. This would be the lightest setup for FI on a dirtbike.

Yeah!! I dont care much for the FCR either :cry:...Even q-jets,carters and holleys are easier to wrench on.... :cry: :cry:

my diesel powered suburban has a mechanical fuel pump and will run with a dead alternator and batteries.

But still how much weight will injction system add for 2 stroke example?!If u have injection then no valves needed.

So u can loose some weight without valve system.

http://www.maxmoto.co.uk/aprilia_leonardo_500_ditech.shtml

Good example of DFI on 2stroke.

http://www.maxmoto.co.uk/aprilia_45_v2.shtml

Fuel injection on motocross engine!

So maybe i buy new Aprilia insetad of any Japan bike.

Every airplane I fly that has FI is mechanically injected. There is no computer, there is no primary electric pump. There are electric fuel pumps but they are back ups in case the mechanical one goes. So I fail to see how you need a battery in this sitaution. Don't need a computer either, just one screw to adjust the mixture for density altitudes.

If I lose all power in the airplane, just threw the battery out the door. The engines still run. No electricity required for a mechanical injection system. None needed either to make the engine fire for that matter.

I think you have this misconception stuck in your mind about what this is. Mechanical injection is done by a fuel pump than runs off the engine. We adjust the mixture manually inside the bird. This would be the lightest setup for FI on a dirtbike.

I understand the system you're describing, its the same system chevrolet used on the 1957 corvette and belairs. I guess where I'm mistaken is I assumed bikes would be the same as cars (my main expertise so to speak) Mechanical fuel injection in cars doesnt work worth the [@#$%&*!], chevy found that out in 1957 and quickly dropped FI from their cars. It wasnt until years (late 70s) later that they learned WHY the mechanical fuel injection didnt work properly.... lack of fuel pressure. You take one of those 1957 cars and stick a 45psi electric fuel pump on em and they run great.. with the stock 7psi mechanical pump they were slugs. Thats why ALL of todays cars have electric fuel pumps. I assumed bikes would be the same way? Guess I was wrong if your planes run ok :cry:

my diesel powered suburban has a mechanical fuel pump and will run with a dead alternator and batteries.

Oh yeah, you're right about that... but Diesel's are a entirely different kind of critter than gas Fuel injection, that Fuel injector pump on your suburban puts out a tad more pressure than the 7psi pumps you'll find on older small block chevys.

Never knew that about the old Chevy's.

The certification process for anything on an airplane is a long and expensive process where the peice of equipment has to be proved again and again. Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree on the aircraft engines since they are generally detuned to be less likely to damage themselves. The 540s on the Aztec I fly only have 250 hp. Sorta sucks when you flying along and an engine quits.

But I perfer the injected aircraft engines over the carb because you don't have to worry about carb ice and that bog you can get you slap the spurs to it.