Sign in to follow this  

Maxxis IT + FLY HD Tube = rage

This combination was the toughest tire I've ever mounted. This tire better perform and last a long time, because when its worn out I'm cutting off the rim with a saw. Stupidly tough to mount, especially with the FLY tube, which is so thick you could almost run it without any pressure.

You need a et of GOOD tire tools, or a tire changer...the Maxxis is indeed tougher than a normal tire to mount. But not alot really...I always make sure my tire is warm, like leave it in the sun for a couple hours or heat it with a hair dryer in a trash can...

You need a et of GOOD tire tools, or a tire changer...the Maxxis is indeed tougher than a normal tire to mount. But not alot really...I always make sure my tire is warm, like leave it in the sun for a couple hours or heat it with a hair dryer in a trash can...

Unfortunately its not real warm in Canada right now, and the wife didn't want to give up the hair dryer. I have good tire irons. Well, had, the 14 incher is bent because of this damn Maxxis. Seven years of changing tires, all makes and models, and I never saw S&$t like this before.

Indeed the Maxxis is a little tougher to mount on the rim but if you take your time it's not that bad. I changed mine right on the work bench, use a small piece of 2x4 to open the gap to feed the tube in. Take small bites and make sure the tire is off the bead opposite where your working, lots of soapy water... keep in mind the the super stiff sidewall is one reason the tire works so well.

The tire will probably last twice as long as a Dunlop, it works pretty good within it's range.

When's the last time you got a decent rear tire for under $45.00

good choice on the maxxis IT. it last the longest and has great trackability. you will be buying that tire again.

My Maxxis was tough to put on, but not a whole lot worse than a normal tire. :cry:

I thought the Dunlop 756RR was a lot tougher than the IT. A warm IT goes on pretty easy with the right tools.

A buddy of mine gave some tire changing lube made by Honda. I had never heard of it before but the stuff stays slippery for a while and made my Maxxis slide right on. You have to wipe it off the wheel as when it does set up, it's sticky and creates a mess if you don't. That's a small consolation for an easy tire change. The hardest tire to change I think was a Bridgestone, but I don't remember the model number. Even the dog was cowering when I lost my cool putting that basturd on, and the dog ain't afraid of nothing except lightning...

I put a Maxxis IT on about a month ago and found it a little harder than my 756's have been. Especially getting the damn valve stem in :cry: The last bite was a b!tch as well. Bent one of my good tire irons and kicked a bucket accross the yard, but that bastard went on. I'm planning on making a tire changing stand (ShawnMC style :cry:) and getting some better tire irons for the next one.