Sign in to follow this  

need help water pump weep hole

coolant is coming out of the weep hole of the water pump when ever the bike is started, dont know what the prob is. looked in the manual and couldnt find anything. :cry:

If you replace the seal and it keeps leaking check the counterbalance shaft bearing. The counterbalance shaft drives the water pump. If that bearing goes bad the shaft can wobble a bit. The seal will leak if that happens. I had the problem on my '02, '03, and '04.

Mine was doing the same thing. I took it apart to look at the seal, and it had some junk in it. I cleaned the parts up and put it back together and haven't had a drop of fluid come out since.

Now, the only question is how did something get in there..

10 bucks says its the seal, if nothing else is wrong with the bike. :cry:

no the reason it leaks is the pump shaft is wearing down smaller than the seal.(look at the shaft for a small grove in it) but you need to replace the seal and the shaft to.

if that were the case i would be on my 4th shaft.last seal i changed out was around early spring. :cry:

I agree. I changed my outer seal only about 1 1/2 years ago and it's been fine since.

Just bought an 03 and mine is doin the same thing... my 86 cr 250 did the same thing. I replaced both the oil and water seal and it was fine.... though it took 15 yrs. for the 86 to leak! I'm also replacing the shaft on the 03 450, it has a groove in it.