Sign in to follow this  

Handlebar grip install...

I switched my handlebars this afternoon because the original bars were bent. The bar swap was a piece of cake, however, I ran into a problem installing new grips. How do you remove the grip on the right side (throttle) of the bars? On other bikes I've worked on, the grip slides over the plastic twistv throttle which in turn slides over the bar. Simple enough. On this bike (1998 DR650), it appears the grip is attached to the plastic throttle in a way that it can't be removed. What should I do?

I changed my wifes grips out on a 98 DR200 and had to use a utility knife and shave the old grip off the tube. It was a pain in the neck. Good luck! :cry:

Thanks for the tip. I've just spent the last half hour shaving the old grip off the tube and I'm no where close to being done. I can't believe Suzuki vulcanized the grip to the tube like that. This will be the last set of grips I ever put on this bike!!! I wonder if it'd be easier ordering a new tube and mounting the grip on it?

What a pain eh?

I could not believe it myself.

I used everything I could think of doing mine, I ended up using a heat gun and getting it really hot and then when it cooled it became hard and brittle. I then used a belt sander to sand it down and reshape it

It should be much easier to regrip next season!

Plastic? Did you say plastic?

I hadn't realy given much thought to what the throttle twist (or whatever its called) was made of.

I had plans to install grip heaters for this winter but now I'm wondering if the plastic twist can take it!

Sorry to throw that in the mix but does anyone know?

Mike.

I also have a 98 dr650 which i changed the grips on. The right side was easy using an air compressor to inflate the grip as it went on. The left side was a pain, I too shaved the grip off with a razor blade for 30-45 minutes. Then used sand paper to clean it up. The suzuki dealership told me how to replace them but said nothing about the left grip being fused to the tube. I was suprized. :cry:

I removed the throttle tube and took the grip off with a wire wheel in a bench grinder. Took 2 minutes after trying for much longer with a sharp utility knife.

Plastic? Did you say plastic?

I hadn't realy given much thought to what the throttle twist (or whatever its called) was made of.

I had plans to install grip heaters for this winter but now I'm wondering if the plastic twist can take it!

Sorry to throw that in the mix but does anyone know?

Mike.

I think all twistgrips are plastic now, I haven't seen a metal one in maybe 20 years.

Not a problem, though. I've put heated grips on a DR-350, a Concours, and a BMW R11rs and all had plastic twistgrips.

One thing that can be a minor issue for some is the LH bar acting as a heat-sink. Some use some friction tape as an isulator over the LH bar.

Doug Grosjean

Luckey, Ohio

douggrosjean@wcnet.org

Good handlebar warmers account for the heat sink of the left side and warm it more than the other side by about 10 degrees. I believe www.dualstar.com sells them.

Thanks guys,I'll probably go with dual star. :cry:

Oh theres something to be said for letting the dealer handle the job but I've always done all my own work and wouldn't dream of farming it out. Grips arn't much of a mod I'll admit,but knowing that you did the work yourself makes the results more satisfing. Guess its just the hot rodder in me.

:cry:.

Good handlebar warmers account for the heat sink of the left side and warm it more than the other side by about 10 degrees. I believe www.dualstar.com sells them.

Well, living in South Dakota, I was VERY interested in heated grips...however..hehehe... your link seems to take a different approach. I might have to contact these folks about building a 'subway' to keep warm on my way to work, but sheesh, what happens if I move? LOL LOL LOL :cry:

Tom

I finally got some to to work on it. Yup, I started with a sharp utility knife and shaved the thing like I was carving a turkey for Thanksgiving dinner. Then out came the drill with a soft bristle wire wheel. Next, a Dremel with a wire wheel attachment was used to get to all the places I couldn't reach with the larger wire wheel. However, there were two ridges molded into the plastic tube that I couldn't slide my new grip over. Oh well, I just had to take it off and mosie on over to the bench grinder and grind 'em down to the same diameter as the rest of the throttle tube. After a good cleaning, I lubed them up with some Renthal grip glue and twisted them into place. What I thought was going to be a 10 minute job took a little over an hour. Hopefully I'll never have to do it again! And BTW, I called the local bike delaer and priced a new throttle tube for the heck of it---$47!!! And it comes with the grip fused on it like the original. Thanks Suzuki!!