Sign in to follow this  

Off Topic - Power Washer

How do some of you wash your bikes at the track? My buddy and I use his powerwasher with a 55 Gallon drum for the water, but we cant get enough pressure to do any good. Are you using washers with a ceratin type of valving, or built in compression of some sort? We tried pumping air into the drum through a valve stem we installed, (20 pounds) but no good. Any suggestions would be appreiacated. Oh , by the way, it works fine with a garden hose and house pressure from the line. :cry:

to increase water pressure you have 2 options. 1)raise your tank. 10 or 12 feet in the air ought to do it. if that's not an option, 2) buy yourself a little pump with a garden hose outfall. the little hondas will make enuff pressure to feed a 3200psi pressure washer.

jeremiah

Hmmmm....have you tried using a smaller nozzel? does the unit have a tank on its self or is it pressure fed? :cry:

on my way home i stop by a car washer place....give it a quick high pressure hose down..then i go home and do the fine work my self.... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I just use the jet setting on my hose lol..it takes a while but it gets the job done..i am very meticulous about cleaning my bike so it gets the hose to get all the packed dirt off, i clean my chain and then i take car soap and water and soap the bike down and scrub off the rest, use rim cleaner for the frame(going to use simple green soon becasue the rim cleaner oxidizes it so if i dont get it wiped down it leavs marks) and then hose the bike down again and dry it off..then i armor all the plastics and my bike looks factory fresh

A racing friend of mine encountered what you have. He bought a pressure washer (a craftsman) for use at the track and bought a water storage container to mount on the front of his trailer. After the bikes were good and dirty at the track, he found out that the pressure washer he had bought only worked when the delivery line was pressured (like a garden hose from a spicket at home). He researched and found another reasonably priced washer to use that doesn't require pressure to get a good flow going. I will let you know what brand it is when I find out.

another possibility is to pressurize your tank with your air compressor.

The story is, the person who sells these pressure washers that I spoke of in the above post, was at the last years mini-bike national at Las Vegas. His # is 626-281-6249. They have a briggs and straton motor on them. Sorry I don't have more info than that.

How do some of you wash your bikes at the track? My buddy and I use his powerwasher with a 55 Gallon drum for the water, but we cant get enough pressure to do any good. Are you using washers with a ceratin type of valving, or built in compression of some sort? We tried pumping air into the drum through a valve stem we installed, (20 pounds) but no good. Any suggestions would be appreiacated. Oh , by the way, it works fine with a garden hose and house pressure from the line. :cry:

This may be your problem:

I went thru this same problem when I set up my 'portable' bike wash. I experimented with putting the barrel up really high, shorter hoses, glued a valve stem (from an old tube) to the barrel lid so I could pressurize it, etc. nothing worked. Finally, out of curiousity, I went to the hardware store and bought a 4-5' length of clear vinyl tubing with the same ID as garden hose and some hose fittings to put on either end. When I hooked it all up I discovered something interesting, after I open the valve on the barrel it takes a good 20-30 seconds for the air in the line to clear (which I could now see happening thanks to the clear tubing) as the water runs through the hose into the washer. Now I just open the valve, wait for the bubbles to stop (sometimes I have to jiggle the hose a little), then turn on my washer and blast away. Once the line is clear of air it takes very little actual 'pressure' to make my washer happy, I can run it until the barrel is pretty much empty. BTW, my water barrel sits in the back of my trailer on a slightly raised platform (made from a couple of 2x4s and a piece of plywood), it's only about 2 feet above ground level.