Sign in to follow this  

Extremely aggravated. Engine help.

Ok, so, here's the story:

My 426 piston finally friggen came in.

I tried to put it together myself, and got the cylinder on just fine. Tried to get it to TDC but couldnt.

Took it in to my mechanic. Turns out the cam chain was a little kinked. No biggie.

We set the whole thing up at the mechanics place. He adjusted the valves (I had had new ones put in) and all that. Put it back together, ready for me to put on the external stuff.

I get home. Noticed the 10mm bolt in the center of the head cover was still in the bucket. Damnit. I took the cover off and put it on.

This afternoon, all excited to get going, I go to start it up. The kickstarter was so friggen hard to push down, it took all my weight on it. Er.. kinda weird. I got it to start, and it clicked noisily. I shut it off immediately (less than a second).

Called the mechanic (who was just leaving for the day). He said maybe the cam moved when I took the cover off. Ok...

I took the cover off, and loosened up the chain tensioner. Wiggled the cam, and let out the tensioner. K, all looks good. Turned it over a few times, and it felt normal. This is with the cover still off.

Put the cover on, and just tightened the 10mm bolt in the center a bit. Went to turn it over... and it does the same thing!? I have no clue as what to do. I'll be taking it in again (Fortunantly my mechanic is awsome and hasnt charged me for his help). So, any suggestions, so maybe I can ride tomorrow?

Forgot to mention: When he put on the cam sprocket, the mark that say "out" (I think thats what it says) was on top. You're supposed to do it with that one on the bottom, says the manual. Does that matter?

Thanks...

When you are putting the cam on are you making sure its in TDC? Maybe your valves are off. When I got all my stuff back I had to adjust the valves big time. Other than that I dont know what it could be.

There are 3 lines on the cam 1 points straight up and the 2 others should be dead even with the edges of the head.. I had the same problem I pulled the cam took out the decompress pin and spring sprayed them out and the hole then made sure my valves were not to tight I did all that and it fired right up not sure which one was the problem but I imagine it would be easy to get debris in that decompress hole..

Good luck.

The cam lobes on the left side should be down when you are setting at TDC. The 3 lines on the sprocket the one in the middle should be up, the other 2 should line up with the head, very easy to be off a tooth. Also rotate it around after you get the cam on to make sure it is in the sprocket teeth good and comes back to the same place next time around on TDC. Maybe you are binding up the cam somehow with the head cover? Possibly the cam off centered a little and dragging the bearings? Good luck with it and always walk away before you get mad enough to break out a sledgehammer. :cry: