Sign in to follow this  

Bike set up/adjustments/need advice...

Sorry if you've seen this on another site, but I'm trying to get answers...

I went to the Grange today and rode a friends 525 and I was faster on his bike then mine (Both '03 KTM 525s), but it gave me a clue as to what I need to do to mine.

His bike is much stiffer, especially the rear. In the back section (where you come out of the dirt when it's open) my bike kind of weaves and feels like it'll wash out if I give it more gas. I could just roll it on alot harder with his, it was firmly planted. So...I need to stiffen the rear!

There's a Red spring on the back of my bike instead of the stock white. I dont know if thats stiffer or softer? Anyone? Trachy #357...if you read this I'm the one that bought your KTM. Where should I start people...any input appreciated.

Also...if you're not bored yet, there's something else I want to fix. My friends bike rolls on the throttle A LOT smoother, but it seems as though mine has more low end grunt. He has something bolted to his carb which I assume is a powernow deal. Do they help?

Thanks people...I'm trying to get faster!

Your right about your rear shock, I doubt you need a new rear spring unless its way off. You need to slow down your rebound and compression damping. Your rebound is critical not only for your shock but your forks too. If you are new to the sport you may think you are slowing it down too much but your not. Do the same for the forks. You also need good balance between the two if one end of your bike is moving faster than the other it won't work. Go out on a practice day and do this slowly so you get the feel of what you are doing. There is a lot more to talk about, but I don't think any more would be good for you at this time until you try this basic setup first :cry:

Darrick

I can attest to Darrick's suspension setup skills. The day I was out at his supermoto school I was riding a VOR 530MX with the Ohlins setup for motorcross. After the morning session Darrick checked my suspension and (after laughing at me a bit) did some adjusting. All I can say is WOW...what a difference it made! :cry: Not only did the bike track better all around the track, but it just felt more solid...huge confidence boost.

:cry:

--Steve

So, slowing the damping down will stiffen up the suspension keeping the tires on the ground instead of moving up and down?