Should I get a WR450F 2004 or 2005 ? Please help me out on this one.

Hello,

I gave a down payment on a WR450F 2005. But what do you guys think ? They have a 2004 and a 2005 in stock. They are both about the same price. Should I stick with the 2005 ? Does it have better features then the 2004 ? Please help me out on that

Also, does anyone know if I can get this darn bike plated in CANADA ? even if it's more a dirt bike then a road one ? I am ready to put a baja kit or something, but here in Canada (Quebec) the laws are usually strict and stupid.

Thanks alot for your help guys,

Peter B.

I just had to make this decision and for me it was pretty cut and dry... I went with a 2004.

3 main reasons:

The gas tank is half a gallon bigger on the 04 (big plus for me)

Seat height: I'm a tall guy so the taller bike was a plus (also, the 20mm lower they brag about on the '05 is 10mm out of the already HARD seat, and 10mm out of the suspension travel)

the compression was reduced on the '05

Also, the 04 was several hundred cheaper (at least at my dealer) than the 05, all of these things together made my decision to get the '04 an easy one.

to compare the 2 bikes side by side, look here http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/unitspecscomp02/2/mcy/28/210/0/615/yamaha_wr450f.aspx ?

Chevy comboy got it right.

The 2005 is a bit smaller than the 2004. At 6'2" it makes a difference , at least for me.

I got my wr 426 2002 street legal. And YES you can get the wr street legal in PQ.

You have to know that : Legally the bike is not legal for street use. If you get arrested for street violation the officer may ask you to get the bike inspected, and then ?

You have to buy the bike new form the dealer.

Get the dealer registration papers and go to the license bureau. For us it's called la SAAQ. Société d'assurance automobile du Québec.

You license the bike for street use. Unless things have changed drastically, the clerk will ask you if the bike has lights. You say yes. It has lights. Which is the truth.

Now, it is up to you to get the proper street legal kit on the bike. It's not because the bike has a street license plate that you are allowed to ride on the road. You have to add blinkers, hydraulic brake switches front and back, license plate holder and light, ignition key, and probably other items ...

If you keep the original pipe you shouldn't have noise issue. But if you do like me, I installed a YZ pipe on mine. You have to take it easy. You don't want to attract unwanted attention.

The only advantage to get the bike street legal from the dealer is because you will not have to pass the inspection, unless the clerk ask you to. In that case, just try your luck in another SAAQ bureau. ?

I am in the same boat as you.

I would like to dual sport a WRF but am unsure which to get,the 04 or 05??

I do know that I can get an 04 in Calgary for $6600+GST.

A new 05 will be $7600+.

The price difference is pretty big but now I think I will wait till spring and sell my CRF first.

There may be some 04's left over and they should be even cheaper then.

You should work on your dealer a bit,the price for an 04 and 05 should not be the same!!! ?

What dont your WR's come with blinkers and brake switches? Thats gotta suck in Oz they come fitted with every thing from blinkers to mirrors here i was bitchin about how long it took to rip it all off.

Wow, I'd love to have all your take off stuff, I have a road plated WR and it would be cool to have OE stuff. is it for sale? If so, PM me with a price (USD) plus shipping ? DO you have an online Yamaha site in OZ, I could purchase from? I may try to do a search and see what I come up with. I'd like to even find an Aussie or OZ site with this stuff. I imported my bike from Canada and it was a Candian/Aus/NZ/ZA spec'd but no lights! ?

Well,

I am 6'4 and money is not a big issue for the difference between a 2004 and a 2005.

I have to make my choice before Tuesday wich is the date they will order me a 2005 OR i can take the 2004 they have in stock.

From what I see, here are the main differences.

Compression Ratio

12.3:1 2005

12.5:1 2004

Will I see a big difference between 12.3:1 and 12.5:1. Why they lowerd it for 2005 ?

Height

50.98" 2005

51.2" 2004

I never owned a motocross in my life.. At 6'4 is the 50.98 still enough ?

Fuel Capacity

2.1 Gallons

2.6 Gallons

I can still change it.

So, 2004 or 2005 ?

from what I've read the compression ratio was changed to make the bike green sticker in CA, lower compression will decrease horsepower somewhat but probably not enough that you will feel it.

Theres a similar thread about this in the general forum that might help ya out.. https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1393650&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

Well to be honest, i don't really care about the compression ratio or the fuel tank, I am pretty sure that I would not see the difference, and if i would, I could always add some extra stuff to gain some HP's..

Since im 6'4, the only thing that really bother me is the seat Height.

50.98" 2005

51.2" 2004

Will I see a huge difference between both of them ? Anyway quick way to higher my 2005 to 51.2 by adding something ?

Thanks alot,

I need to decide before Tuesday :}

Right now the 2005 is on top ?

Also, for Street, will the 2005 be a good choice ? If you don't count the fuel tank ?

thanks again ?

Well you asked and we all commented. Tall riders should get the extra height of the 04. I am 5'9" and I cant touch the ground with both feet but when I am on the pegs it is perfect. You are also going to need to buy risers to raise your handle bars a few inchs up and forward! The other thing is the 04 has more ground clearance for log and obstacle crossings. ? You better not drive far on the road because the high performance engine eats gas in a hurry! ?

I am in the same boat as you.

I would like to dual sport a WRF but am unsure which to get,the 04 or 05??

I do know that I can get an 04 in Calgary for $6600+GST.

A new 05 will be $7600+.

The price difference is pretty big but now I think I will wait till spring and sell my CRF first.

There may be some 04's left over and they should be even cheaper then.

You should work on your dealer a bit,the price for an 04 and 05 should not be the same!!! ?

Who's selling 04's for $6600 in Calgary?

Wow, I'd love to have all your take off stuff, I have a road plated WR and it would be cool to have OE stuff. is it for sale? If so, PM me with a price (USD) plus shipping ? DO you have an online Yamaha site in OZ, I could purchase from? I may try to do a search and see what I come up with. I'd like to even find an Aussie or OZ site with this stuff. I imported my bike from Canada and it was a Candian/Aus/NZ/ZA spec'd but no lights! ?

Its not for sale i might need it all one day but its all oz standard equip. should be able to find it on www.yamaha.com.au.

No joy on the Oz parts. Looked all over the site, but couldn't find it like you can on the US site. Perhaps they are forcing you to contact your dealer. The US part site does not list the Euro or Oz versions, so no "Enduro" parts available. BTW, Yamaha motorcycles Australia is https://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/motor/index.htm?motor.asp

Maybe someone like Ron Ayers can get them...

I had the same debate when the 03's came out. Many of you said stay with the 426 because the estart will weigh the bike down, I still bought the 450 and loved it, and it was a much better bike than the 426. Now were talking about the 05's... I think we're all a little guilty of standing behind our purchase desicions when it comes to what bike we bought and why we bought it. To say the older models have better specs is an stretch. For you taller guys, the 05 WR will still be taller than EVERY KTM rfs bike (all the 525s,450s,400s and 250s) I think they're still taller than the CRF's too.

Needless to say, the 05 will be worth waiting for. Numerous upgrades that add up.

only my opinion....

Dan

At 6'3", I would run tall seat foam on any of them. It's the peg to seat hight that matters. The advantages of the '05, seems to me, are: They lowered the frame at the steering head by 10mm to improve handling. Less top heavy feel. It would also be less over-all hight with tall seat foam. A good thing unless you are REAL tall. The new muffler is now aluminum, and is supposedly QUITER than 96db with the baffle REMOVED! ? :cry: It's about freakin time!! Then there is the new updated suspension, which may or may not be a good thing I guess. The smaller tank does blow though.

I vote '05. ?