Sign in to follow this  

Need info on DR650/KLR650

I am in the market for a dual sport for some potential long distance riding/touring, have been looking at the KLR650 and the DR650. Whats the best one?? which one is the most reliable? Is there any aftermarket stuff for the DR650?

Hopefully someone will pipe in here that can speak from firsthand experience. I can only say that from what I have seen in the past is more people look toward the KLR for the touring package. Out of all the marketed dualsport bikes, I think the KLR is set up more for the street than all the others. This of course is just my opinion. :cry:

I ride an XR650L so what I have to say is opinion not first hand knowledge.

The DR is a 50/50 bike. It does both well equally. That said it does not excell in either catagory. It is an excellent bike for someone that does equal amounts of dirt and street riding.

The KLR is a more street oriented bike with a long history of being a solid adventure bike. It is better suited for back roads and fire roads on the dirt side and it's liquid cooled engine makes long trips easier to handle. If you are planning for long distance I would go with the KLR. They have many more aftermarket items for the KLR than the DR. You will find more on line sites dedicated to the KLR than the DR also.

Hope this helps.

Ray

I've had 2 DR650's and just sold my 1996 DR650. It is a great 50/50 bike. I put about 10K miles on mine and it didn't give me a lick of trouble. My Dad had an older KLR650 and it was what I would consider more of a 60/40 bike, where 60% was street. I really liked my DR650, and I even did some organized Dual Sport rides on it but it was more at home on fire roads and light trails. My Dad's KLR650 was a good bike and didn't give him any issues either. I liked the DR650 better because it was a good middle of the road bike and pretty bullet proof.

Darin

I had a new KLR650 for about a year and put on 3k miles prior to selling it. It was, as earlier posters mentioned, more road than dirt. However, that being said, even the heaviest 'dirt' bike is buffeted around by most vehicles on the road. I got rid of it after I realized that it wasnt much of a road bike either.

After riding my dad's BMW...it was hands down the best road bike with knobbies I've ever been on. But for the money, you could buy a 650 as well as a very nice dirt bike...

Best advice I could offer is to ride them both and pick the one that has the best feel to you. The seats and controls are different on those two bikes, so one may fit while the other feels like a pig...

my opinion...for what it's worth,