Sign in to follow this  

noisy Devol skid plate

ah yes here i am again , asking for your guys wisdom. today i installed the Devol skid plate on my 00 drz s model. i noticed as i took it offroading, the plate would resonate at certain higher rpms. it would make a rattling sound. the bolts are all snugged up , with loctite. i double checked the fasteners, and they are still secure. now is this normal, or am i being too picky, and should get louder exhaust? thanx again..... ROGER :cry:

My buddy put a Devol skid plate on his DRZ and it made a horrible racket at higher RPM. He put some foam tape (e.g. weather strip from Home Depot) between the frame rails and the plate and the no more noise.

It does not matter what kind of plate you get...they all make noise...metal to metal contact.

I used rubber garden hose split down the middle and secured with tie wraps.

Well i don't know about you guys but my engine made all kinds of funny noises before i installed my plate. Now the skid plate is like a big ol reflector allowing me to really get a listen to whats going on ! And I agree, all plates make noise just some different than others ! It's normal except for the rattle part or plate chatter! Seems like some rubber saddles or something would be in the works for those kind of plates ! Also watch the wire harness on the frame ! My buddy has the clamp on plate and the clamp smashed the hell out of the wires! he did not see it till it was too late! :cry:

I have a devol skid plate installed on my DRZ and it hardly rattles. But I probably can't hear it because my Yosh is LOUD. KTM seems Quiet.Devol skid does not rattle on that one either

wow thanx guys, i'm glad this is a common thing, i'm gonna do the garden hose trick, and will check for that wiring harness also. yes you are right, the plate did magnify all the engine sounds. i am happy with the product, especially after i noticed how wimpy the factory plate was. thanx again ...ROGER

:lol: :lol: :cry: :cry: :lol: garden hose??? :cry: that sounds kinda ghetto...

How about the other idea...foam tape? :cry: :cry: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW, I have a WB skidplate and no noise. :lol: :lol: :lol:

garden hose??? that sounds kinda ghetto...

Ghetto?...it's black hose and you can't see it......give your foam tape about three rides in the wet and see what it looks like. :cry:

I did not have good luck with the tape...maybe I used the wrong stuff.

You are correct all of the plates seem to rattle some. But the Devol my buddy has is thinner than my Baja Designs plate (old style). With my Corky's mounting kit, I do not get any of rattle or "banging off" the frame rails during high idle that my buddy gets with his Devol. The racket was really something. But, some foam tape and all is OK. :cry:

I had a different skid plate on my drz. I sold it and it never rattled. Now I haeve a Devol skid plate on my new KLX 400 and it rattles so bad I thought my engine was about to blow. Only at a certain rpm and it's cause it's such a thin aluminum. I'm going to put some dense black rubber 1/4" instead of the hard plastic spacers it comes with and see if that fixes it.

Same high rpm buzz on my Devol. I traced it to the very back of the plate where it would vibrate against the frame. Two little pieces of felt about an inch square each fixed it right up.

With the place I also get a lot more engine noise reflected up. Really bugged me for a few weeks after I installed it, but now I'm used to it. Still, I wish there was some coating that would deaden the noise a little.

Anybody try coating the inside of the plate with rubber to see if that helps at all? I'm thinking maybe a tube cut open and glued to the plate.

It does not matter what kind of plate you get...they all make noise...metal to metal contact.

Hyde Developments, no noise...

I used some rattle can bed liner on my GYTR skid plate on my WR450 and it kept it quiet as the stock "skid plate".

Steve