Sign in to follow this  

Exhaust sound?

I haven't been overly concerned with how loud my slightly modified stock exhaust is yet but I was trolling around in the Dualsport arena and seen that there was going to be a ride next month that interested me and I noticed that they check the db of the exhaust. I have drilled the like 14 holes in the baffle and have also taken a holesaw to the endcap but I do have another stock endcap, with these holes in the baffle, should I be worried about the 92 db limit? :cry:

Yes...I doubt you will pass a 92 dB test with that set-up. 92 dB is pretty quiet for a dirt bike. A stock bike (DRZ) will pass. Any exhaust mod's and you will probably have difficulty. Good luck though. :cry:

Hmmm...quiet it down to 92 dB? I doubt it...but I think you're best bet would be to buy a used stock endcap. If that doesn't work, buy a used stock muffler. Like I said, 92 dB is pretty quiet for a dirt bike.

I have a extra stock unmolested stock endcap that I am going to put on it before making the trip. I just didn't want to go to the next state over and let it be a wasted trip.

Oh yeah..one more thing. For what its worth, I have been able to quiet down an aftermarket exhaust down from 98 dB to about 91.2 dB with electronics ( And that is a HUGE difference). Its called "active noise cancellation". It works pretty well, and will be pretty popular in the near future in cars and probably bikes as well. Unfortunately, this is not something you can do yourself so you have to wait a few years. But it is something to look forward to :cry:

They have headphones with that technology in them. Bose makes a really good pair. The headphones are like $150 so I wonder how much a setup like that would be for a bike?

The basic idea is to measure the noise you're trying to attenuate, then using an amplifier and speaker you play the same sound 180 degrees out of phase to cancel the original sound. Its a simple theory but the logistics of making it work are another story. Its not too bad if you have a constant noise that doesn't change frequency too much...that's why the Bose headphones work pretty well on an airplane. The noise is fairly constant. Using it to cancel an car or bike exhaust is pretty difficult, and to be able to quiet the exhaust effectively without adding a lot of weight and expense is difficult. I can't go into detail about the systems I've tested but I think it will be feasable to use this system on future vehicles. There is at least one car on the market right now that uses this technology, but its for interior noise, not engine exhaust :cry: