$168.00 Oil change

I took my KLR back to the dealer today to get an oil change and the chain adjusted. (approaching 3000 miles total) They quoted 168.00 for the work. When I asked why so much they said 74.00 for an oil change, and the rest was a drive train inspection. (which after questioning consists of cleaning, lubing, and adjusting the chain and a "10 point inspection") Are they for real? they weren't even going to check the valves. tell me this isn't the going price for routine service? Is this common? what gives? I told them where they could stick their "10 point inspection" and left. (oh, forgot to mention for $168.oo they also wash the bike) I guess I've got some studying to do on KLR servicing because I'm not paying those rates.

I don't know what kind of oil they use for the KLR but the local suzuki dealer will change your oil regardless of what make or model, as long as it is a bike or quad for $10.00 plus parts. I took my DRZ and they changed a sprocket, the oil and checked the valves for about $20.00 less than what you were quoted. Surely the KLR isn't that much of a difference than the DRZ, I mean they are both single cylinder engines, correct? You did the right thing about telling them where to take it. ?

I took my KLR back to the dealer today to get an oil change and the chain adjusted. (approaching 3000 miles total) They quoted 168.00 for the work.

That's incredible! ?

Good job telling them what they could do with their "10 point inspection". Sounds like you were the one they wanted to "clean & lube". ? :cry: ?

Why can'y you change your own oil ? Yea they are going to ream you if they think you can't undo 2 bolts and drain 2 quarts fill back up and call it good ? If you cant adj the chain they think ? :cry: sucker! Did you get a quote for coating to protect it from mud? ? :cry: Seriously learn to do it your self!

Dude, that is outright rape! You were right to run away from that place - never go back. As a matter of fact, post the name of the place so no one else accidentally gives 'em any bidness.

For me, something like changing the oil (bike or car) has nothing to do with money. The task is just TOO easy to justify in any way the risk of having someone else (even a "perfeshonal" ?)change your oil. Please, Do it yourself, DO IT RIGHT! As I learned more and more about working on my own vehicles, I acquired the same attitude towards just about any repair and maintainence task you could name.

I would say go to a shop (a different one) and pick up a shop manual for your bike. I have a clymer but I think there are other good ones. It will explain EVERYTHING from changing the oil to to rebuilding the lower end. They only cost about $30 and it is a one time purchase. Then you can be like the rest of us that have our heads on straight (no offense) and change our own oil for $15-$25 (I use synthetic oil so it costs a little more) and adjust our own chains for free. ?

Brit Motorsports of Newbern NC. Doesn't suprise me, their customer service sucks. I only bought from them because it's Eastern North Carolina, and there's not much choice here. They've got an attitude like they're doing you a favor by taking time to talk to you. Let alone treat you like a customer. There's no doubt I'll be doing the work myself. 168.00 bucks will by alot of gear, but it won't be coming from them. Funny thing is, I overheard them saying how the internet was killing their business...I think I'll go to amazon.com and get a service manual. My next bike will be from Ebay.

Cost of 1 motorcycle service manual: $20

Cost of 2 quarts of oil: $10

Band-aids for knuckles after first attempt: $.05

Being able and confidant enough to do your own service: Priceless.

$168 will buy you a manual, oil, chain lube and some wrenches with enough leftover for a nice pair of enduro pants for the upcomming winter!

www.brittmotorsports.com (You'd really laugh at how overpriced their used sport bikes are.. I mean it's crazy !!!)

The only thing worse than that is the absurdley crappy honda piece of crap wanna-be hole in the wall, non-knowing parts person sell above MSRP dealership 3 miles down the road.

The ONLY honest bike shop anywhere near us, is Precision Cycles, Inc. on Amsterdam Way in Wilmington, NC...

Oh yeah,.... then there is the harley place... but that's all it will ever be.

You're right... It's sad.. At least we have one good shop though !!!

Geez! I thought the $60 oil change I just did on my KTM was high. (Did it myself, no labor charge)

3 qt Red Line sythetic oil $27

2 OEM oil filters $13

1 cool-looking "KTM Racing" hat $20

True... I did not need 2 filters, I bought a second one for later, and I could have changed it without the hat but it made me feel better. I also washed the bike, checked my driveline, suspension, etc., lubed and adjusted my chain. Took about an hour and a half.

Oh, I almost forgot the mandatory 2 hr test ride after any work performed. ?

Prowlerguy, good on ya!!

Here's a copy of the email I just send. I'll post any reply IF I ever get one. I have a KTM shop near me that treated customers the same. However after the actions of the employees was brought to the attention of the owner there was a little house keeping done. It's better now, but still not good enough not to buy from out of staters that have no sales tax and free shipping. Great thread!!

brittmoto@aol.com:

Please look at this thread. Doesn't sound to good for your business. My nephew is coming back from the Iraq War in three months and will be looking for a new bike. He lives in Wilmington and goes to to Chapel Hill for Law school. However, with customer feedback like this I will advise him to shop elsewhere. There are hundreds of shops that will sell out of state and save sales tax and the hassle of being treated rudely on new and used bikes. The retail world is becoming VERY small. Customer service goes a long way these days. Good luck.

Tim Farwell

Sunhill Palms

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1397404/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1#Post1422678

Wow...that didn't take long, 36 minutes later I received this reply:

Thank you for the time you took to advise me of this situation.As a owner I cant always see the forest for the trees,but it does concern me and will be addressed soon.My first conversation with personell was a miscommunication with the customer,but that is also unacceptable.I am concerned,my GM there is concerned,we will address the complaint.Thanks again,SCOTT BRITT

sbritt6789@aol.com

And yet another reply:

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, we also appreciate the chance to give our side of the story. We have different service packages avail depending on the unit and the milage of the unit. We actually don't have a package for 168.00 the package closest to this price is called the Star Service and it sells for 179.00. It includes replacing oil and filter, Driveline service (chain adjust and lube, or belt adjust,or shaft drive oil change), 20 point factory checklist, which includes airfilter, tire pressure, cable service and many other points, and the unit is washed. We present this package to every customer and if they want just the oil change then it is definetly unit specific, (fairings or no fairings, spin on filter or element style filter). We definetly had a communication breakdown with this paticular customer and that is definetly our mistake. I have meet with my service manager about this situation and he accepts that this situation has caused a problem. We would like the opportunity to make this right. Thank You, Jeffrey Shingleton Britt Motorsports New Bern, NC.

I ride with some people who make more that $200.00 per hour and often have to work long hours through the weekend. The cost of the oil change is meaningless to them but what is important is their free time. What little they get they want to use on the trail not in the garage working on the bike. I certainly don’t fit this category but can see their point and would do the same thing if I were in their shoes.