Sign in to follow this  

rmz back fire screen

I just got a new rmz and I read that other people cut their back fire screens out to get better throttle response. I just wanted to know if I needed to get a fire resistant air filter or will my stock be fine.

I don't know about the RMZ/KXF back fire screens but I would deifatly just go buy a fire reistant one because that would be very hilarious and suck very bad if your bike cought on fire while you were riding just because you wanted better throttle response. :cry: Those bikes are sweet have fun

you definetely need a fire resistant filter if you take out the screen. In my opinion the performance increase is very slight and not worth the time unless you race seriously (or if you're very serious about smoking your buddy on that fire road :cry: :cry:)

There are a few guys on the RMZ/KXF forum that are running with normal filters and no backfire screen. I haven't heard of any problems. I took mine out when I noticed how many layers of screen were in the back firescreen. Mine had three, I could not see through it (my YZ-450 has only one). I think it was quite restrictive. The bike runs great with it in place but I think it's better without it. Plus I can now see into the airboot and I don't get rim greese on the screen.

it's up to you but i think it would be inconvenient to get a seat warmer in the middle of the trail when you've just gone down a really really really big hill and don't have a spare air filter with you. :cry:

Been running mine with the screen removed and with the stock filter for a few weeks not. so far......no problems with the set up.

Throttle response is noticed but correct jetting would make a bigger difference.

cheers.

Joe

I got my RMZ back in January. I took the screen out and put in the twin air kit. I have been using the Standard NO-TOIL filters with their oil all season. Bike runs great! No backfire issues here. I have talked to several factory team mechanics, There isn,t a single bike at the National with a backfire screen in it, and most of them use standard filters. :cry:

I got my rmz in april, took out the backfire screen in may, run twin air regular filter or stock when its too dusty to get the second moto in on the first filter. Never any problems and 45 hours on the bike.

has anyone pulled the screen out and not put the seal ring back in,or made there own?????? or have you guys just cut it out and left alone??????

I just cut the screens out and left the rest of the assembly intact.

As for the filter, I've been using the No Toil filters and oil. No fires so far....

~Tex

RMZ+ssv

I have seen a YZ 250f with no backfire screen and standard filter catch fire... Was not a good look with a number of people running from the pits with fire extinguishers.