Sign in to follow this  

Helmet Cam Recommendations.....

Hello All,

I just sold my XR and have a little money burning a hole in my pocket. I've been thinking about getting a Helmet Cam set-up. I'd need everything including: Sony/Canon camera, battery packs, and helmet cam. There are several things I'm not familiar with..... (I know about the camera's AV input requirement)

What's the best trouble free camera to buy do you think? And what format? DVD, VHS, 8mm? What can handle the vibrations & dust from dirt bikes and unplanned get-offs.

What does this mean: H.A.D. and C.C.D. ??? There seems to be alot of camera jargon/specs associated with the helmet cams, what should I be concerned with and how important is 480 lines of resolution? Honestly, will I notice the difference between 380 and 480 lines of resolution?

Image stabilization -- is this available?

What's the best (helmet) camera to get? Bullet Cam or HelmetCam.com? I see alot of Bullet Cams on Ebay - any good?

Is it a hassle riding around with all this gadgetry and wiring on? Are you finding that this stuff has a novelty and you don't use the cam as much as you thought because of all the prep work to get it working?

I'd want to use the camera for woods riding (shady and kinda dark in the mornings) and for taking to amusement parks to ride roller coasters. :cry:

Any advise you can offer would be great.

Eric

380vs480 will be noticable on a larger TV

I would go miniDV digital format, I use a canon ZR80 works really well

I use the helmetcam.com setup, I prefer the mount they use, the optics are pretty mucha ll the same, sony lipstick cameras

MegaDeTH,

Does your Canon pick up a lot of vibration? Does it have an "image stabilizer"? How about a LAN connection -- is that what you need with the HelmetCam.com remote button?

How do you carry your camera while riding? Fanny pack or one of those Pelican Packs?

Eric

zero vibration, the lipstick camera is mounted to my helmet, your body natually buffers your head

the canon can go anywhere, I use a fanny pack that's attached to my chest protector, a camelback goes onto the back to even out the weight

I just got one from Viosport but they're just down the street from me and I had contacts. I think there is better buys out there although I am pleased with the camera.

As for cameras, I bought this JVC and am very pleased. The rebate made the deal pretty sweet. I looked at cannons and sony's and they were quite a bit bigger. this one is so small I carry it on the front of my chest protector in a small camera bag that I zipped tied on making it easy to access. Cam is mounted on the side of my helmet after experimenting with different locations.

Sure is cool to watch. Right now trying to shoot enough video to get me through the winter. :cry: :cry:

I have the HelmetCam set up.

Vibration is not an issue, as it's a helmet mount. I'd bet that if you mounted to the bars or on the bike then yes, it would be an issue.

The smallest camera I've seen that has the video in and LANC is the Canon Elura series. I mean really small, about the size of a double stacked palm pilot. But they can be pricey.

I bought my system used and have an upgraded "LANC" not the one button unit, this thing has start/stop/pause/power etc. and is the shiznit. This is not exactly what I have but it's close: LANC

I would not have a system w/o LANC.

Is it a pain, well a little. I'd like to find a quick connect at the helmet. all the wires come together in my back pack, so helmet removal means you have to pull off your back pack as well.

I have a cheap back pack that carries my camera and bladder from my camelbak.

what did you end up buying? i'm looking at the viosport and xtremerecall's camera but i'm not sure which way to go.

I've been using helmet cameras for several years now.

Do not buy a Canon camera! I've gone through three and none of the failures were related to my use. A web search on the camera you intend to buy will really tell what it's weakness may be. I have had the same failures on the Canon that everyone else has with them. The head stops spinning. It cost about $300 to have it fixed if you are out of warranty. Try the JVC or Sony instead.

I was using a 380-line camera from helmetcamera.com but recently bought a high res 480-line camera from eBay for less than what I originally paid for the 380. Ebay camera

It is borderline unbelievable. :) It's only downside is you have to use an adapter because it doesn't come with a standard plug. The adapter costs $4 at RadioShack.

And don't forget the LANC remote. I almost stopped using my setup because it was cumbersome to turn it on and off because I had to get it out of the pack. The LANC remote makes it so easy that I get it all ready and just put the pack on and ride to the starting line where I wait to push the start button just before going out on the track. It is a must have so make sure your camera is LANC capable before you buy it.

--KT--

have you used any of the other lenses or just the standard 3.6mm?

have you had any issues with glare?

thanks -

CC

I just recently purchased a helmet cam. You MUST have the LANC remote. I don't have mine yet but I will be getting one. I'm looking at the one button LANC.

The Canon ZR10-50 has the LANC remote capabilities. I have the ZR45 purchsed on Ebay and it works great.

Don't forget you also be needing a Firewire if you want to load and edit your recorded images onto your computer. It's alot to learn but stick with TT. Lots of threads already posted will help you figure it all out. :)

I've been using helmet cameras for several years now.

Do not buy a Canon camera! I've gone through three and none of the failures were related to my use. A web search on the camera you intend to buy will really tell what it's weakness may be. I have had the same failures on the Canon that everyone else has with them. The head stops spinning. It cost about $300 to have it fixed if you are out of warranty. Try the JVC or Sony instead.

I was using a 380-line camera from helmetcamera.com but recently bought a high res 480-line camera from eBay for less than what I originally paid for the 380. Ebay camera

It is borderline unbelievable. :) It's only downside is you have to use an adapter because it doesn't come with a standard plug. The adapter costs $4 at RadioShack.

And don't forget the LANC remote. I almost stopped using my setup because it was cumbersome to turn it on and off because I had to get it out of the pack. The LANC remote makes it so easy that I get it all ready and just put the pack on and ride to the starting line where I wait to push the start button just before going out on the track. It is a must have so make sure your camera is LANC capable before you buy it.

--KT--

I agree with the LANC remote. I had a business of making and selling complete kits, including remotes and packs (Action Adventure Cameras). The helmetcamera.com kit is the best on the market right now. I still have some of the remotes we manufactured and I believe them to be the best available.

I have been using a Canon ZR-40 for almost 3 years without a failure. It's all in how you package the kit when you are riding. The newer canons don't have the LANC feature so beware of that. You can find a Canon ZR-20, 40,45, 50 for well under $200 and I would consider that your best option..

Image stabilizers are useless as the only thing you are using the camcorder for is a VCR basically. All other features on the camcorder are bypassed so stick with something simple and cheap.

For me the 380 is fine. I personally can't tell the difference between that and the 480 but then again I haven't watched it on anything bigger than a 36" TV.

Let me know if you want a remote.

Ace

sorry you guys have me confussed (normal) :D

So I have a ZR25, I need to buy what for a 480 line ????????? can someone list a complete system. :):):p:D

So if I wanted to buy one from EBAY, the best one would be?

And I would need a ? kind of cord

And a LANC thingy

sorry you guys have me confussed (normal) :D

So I have a ZR25, I need to buy what for a 480 line ????????? can someone list a complete system. :D:o:):)

So if I wanted to buy one from EBAY, the best one would be?

And I would need a ? kind of cord

And a LANC thingy

480 line is the resolution of the lipstick camera. They usually come in 380 and 480, 480 being the better of the two. Any cam kit you buy should come with the cable from the camera, a mic and some type of a battery pack. Your Canon has an A/V input and should have come with a cable that plugs into that with three RCA style jacks on the end(two audio, one video),that you can plug your camera into. I would highly recommend purchasing a lance to control the Canon. If you don't, you will have to keep accessing your Canon to start and stop recording. So, what you need is a camera kit and a lance. Mine is from here and works great.

Bulletcam.com

Have fun! :p

480 line is the resolution of the lipstick camera. They usually come in 380 and 480, 480 being the better of the two. Any cam kit you buy should come with the cable from the camera, a mic and some type of a battery pack. Your Canon has an A/V input and should have come with a cable that plugs into that with three RCA style jacks on the end(two audio, one video),that you can plug your camera into. I would highly recommend purchasing a lance to control the Canon. If you don't, you will have to keep accessing your Canon to start and stop recording. So, what you need is a camera kit and a lance. Mine is from here and works great.

Bulletcam.com

Have fun! :)

Thanx s abunch ,I have been to that site, but wasnt sure how reputable it was.

The Helmetcams themselves are waterproof. You need to make sure the batterypack and the camcorder are protected though. I keep mine in a semi water resistent nylon fanny pack and have never had any problems with water, mud or anything. Of course if I were to fall in a lake or something I am sure I would be in trouble :) Some of the places that sell these actually make a plastic submersible case for the camcorder and battery pack that is completely waterproof.

i use the canon zr80 with a skullcamz 480 line camera and it is awesome.. amazingly clear pic and sound.. i've used in the dunes and in the dirt, and have never had a problem..