Sign in to follow this  

Putting her up for the winter...

I am about ready to put my WR up for the winter...sad, but with school it has to be done. I know how to properly store a two stroke (I snowmobile), but are there any differnt procedures for the four-stroke? Here is what I am planning on doing...tell me if you have any suggestions.

1. stabalize fuel in gas tank

2. clean her and make her all nice and shiny

3.put fresh oil and a new filter in her

4. lube chain

5...HERE IS WHERE THE QUESTION IS...do I fog the engine? I know on a two stroke it should be done...but should I fog the four-stroke?

Thanks...any other tips would be nice too...oh yea...I also keep both tires off the ground.

I can't remember what the manual states about winterizing your bike, but I do about the same as you. I put Stabil in the gas, then run it through so I know it is all through the carb. If you drain the carb, then you must be sure to drain all the gas out or what is left will varnish up. I like the Stabil method better, and leave the carb full. As for the gas tank, after I Stabil the gas and run it through, I drain the tank. I have a natural Clarke tank and this helps prevent yellowing. I use the gas in my snow blower. About once a month, I mix up a fresh gallon of gas and Stabil, and run it through the bike long enough to get the old gas out of the carb, then drain the tank again. I do change the oil when needed, and I need to do that now, before one more long riding weekend. But I likely won't change out over the winter or until after my first big Spring ride. I have been having pretty good luck trail riding about 500 to 600 miles on Amsoil synthetic 10W40. Lube the chain as needed. I am going to change out my stock chain that has about 1600 miles on it, and go with a DID X-ring chain--only because the stock chain is not long enough to try a 13/54 combo. I put my bike away spotlessly clean, so if the mood fits, I can work on a clean bike. I store my bike on a work stand, tires off the ground. Keep tires properly inflated--check once a month. Cold air drops pressure fast, and you could possibly get a pinch flat just from moving it around. Keep the tires up. If you are storing your bike in a barn or anywhere there are mice, tape up all air box holes to keep them out. They will fill your air box up with dog or cat food, shredded paper and rags, chew your filter (freshly oiled clean filter helps prevent this) and otherwise make a real mess of things.

Winter is a great time to do the often neglected maintenance things on your bike, such as grease the swing arm and shock linkage, as well as the steering bearings. Also a good time to change out shock and fork oil. Change tires too. This is a really good time to remove and lube cables and don't forget to clean and lube the lever, shifter and brake lever pivots, and go over every inch and bolt. Good time to take off plastic and apply BNG! Copy the maintenance lists in the book and check everything off. If you study these lists, you can rearrange them into a managebale order so you can maintain a little at a time, without repeating any disassembly and/or reassembly. About an hour a week is all it takes to have your machine in pristine contdition for Spring.

Starting the bike once a month keeps the top end lubed. I don't fog either, but dumping a teaspoon of oil into the spark plug hole and cranking it over won't hurt, but it won't get the top end (cams and buckets and shims) lubed either. Starting it and letting it warm up (cylinder wall very warm) does this. Besides, you get to hear that cool thumper sound at least once a month and let the anticipation build.

Or ride in the winter like some do with studded tires. Some only winterize their bike by changing to studded tires!