Sign in to follow this  

Chain link count

What is the stock link count?

What is the recommended link count if going with 13/49 gearing?

Thanks!

I am setting my 400s up with 13/47 an I am using 114 links, so I would say 116 fo you. Add a link for every tooth on the rear and subtract 1 for every tooth you loose on the front. You are 2 up on the rear and 1 down on the front, so you need to add 1 link since you can't do that you either need to go up 2 or stay with the chain you have.

Yeah, thats why I am trying to determine the stock link count. I think its 112, but not for sure. If anyone knows, please post. Thanks!

I changed my 2004 DRZ S to a 14/49 from the stock 15/44. It worked with the stock chain. Another question is ....do the E and the S have the same link count?

I went down to 13--made only small difference--so I also went up to 51 in rear. Stock chain came close, but no cigar. With a 49 in rear the stocker MIGHT fit. I would try it before spending $80 on a new O-ring. My new O-ring was a 120, which I had to cut off a few.

How do you like the 13/51 gearing? I had that same combo on my YZ400. It was a serious billy goat. The YZ400 was prone to stalling in tight sections. Once it went to 13/51, stalling was eliminated and throttle response was amazing. The guy I sold it to ended up complaining that the bike scared the hell out of him because he could not keep to the front wheel on the ground...he ended up trading it two weeks later for an XR400...

Back to the question, though. How do you like the gearing on the DRZ. I ride tight and technical trails, therefore top end really is not a consideration. I think that the 14/47 really is not that bad, its fit the bill so far. I do know that changing it a bit would be for the better. I was hoping that a 13/49 would do the trick.

There is a big difference from 14/47 to 13/47. If you think 14/47 is not that bad, you will probably like 13/47. I'd try that first before going lower to 13/49. The original 112 links should fit all the conbos. Yes, "E" and "S" bikes came with the same pin count. 112.

I just did the 13/51 a few days back, and have yet to really check it out. I do the same type of riding you say you do--I have no desire to do 80mph on a fire road! I also stalled a few times with stock gearing, thus the change to lower gearing. I'll report back after I really put it to the test.

I wouldnt go lower than 13/47. It seemed plenty low for crawling and as a bonus lets the stock chain work with a paddle tire and the stock 47 tooth rear.

Note: Top speed with 13/51 is 82, 13/47 is 89, and 14/47 95 on the rev limiter at 10.5k and 78, 84 and 91 respectively at 10k.

Iwould try the 13/47 first. If you need to go lower, you already got the 13 on the front anyway.

OK, tried out the 51 and I highly approve. I like climbing trees! Can't go any bigger in rear without mods to chainguide, however.