Sign in to follow this  

backfire screen

Toss out the backfire screen and at the same time install the JD jet kit. You will not be dissapointed. As for jetting changes I could not tell you as I installed my exhaust and rejetted with the kit all at the same time.

Would removing the backfire screen lean out the motor or richen it?

Technically it would lean the settings due to more airflow...but this is so minute as to be neglible, if even a concern at all.

Yes clean it with the filter. It makes no power difference that anyone here would notice. It isn’t harming anything. If your worried about power, loose weight and keep the throttle on longer.

Probably not, but Honda put it there because they felt it was potential.

I don’t clean my filter with gas nor do I use flammable based filter oil. Seems to me it would take a large backfire and debris to be left on the filter itself to ignite. But I wouldn’t want my butt on the seat when it did.

but Honda put it there because they felt it was potential

Here's a picture of a XR650R air filter that had the screen removed. While this may not look too bad, there's been a few bikes that have literally melted the side panels and one that I know of which burned to the ground. Most people would probably never have problems with the backfire screen removed, but it's never a good thing when you're the exception to the rule.

P4171183.jpg

Thanks for that...

I just removed my backfire screen and you give me a visual of my bike going up in flames. :cry:

i remember back in the "old" days, there were a few yz250f's that came without the screen and one of those bikes burned to the ground.

i'm not sure how far the archives go but i think it was on the older version of TT.

The bike will not burn to the ground easily. In fact a foam filter properly oil, takes a considerable amount of flame to even START burning...

The only way a foam filter could catch on fire from an occasional backfire is if it had something inflammable in it...like gasoline from a prior cleaning, kerosene, etc.

...and a bike backfiring enough to char the foam filter has a problem anyway that needs to be fixed. :cry:

It's my understanding that the situation from this picture happened after a fall. The bike was running perfectly with no backfire issues under normal operation. After a fall however, the bike backfired upon starting and that's when the air filter was chared. It wasn't normal for the bike to backfire upon starting after a fall, but the right chain of events led up to this problem. If you're out in the sand when this happens, you may as well kiss your engine good by if you run it without an air filter. The bike that burned to the ground happened in a similar way. It backfired upon starting up after a fall and the owners leg got warm, so he jumped off and the bike fell to the ground. The float stuck and fuel poured from the overflow tubes and the rest was history. It's pretty rare for this to happen, but not impossible.