Sign in to follow this  

##vote## help me pick a bike

right its gonna have to go to a vote, i also trying to get an unbiased opinion if possible as it seems that the forum you look in is the bike of choice for that room.

anyway lets get to it:

i've had my crf450 (03) from new and used to ride just trails and the odd enduro/hare scramble.

then i tried a few mx races and didnt do to bad, but due to previous back injury i'm not going to risk getting smashed up again.

so now i've decided to stick to enduro's and hare scrambles and practice tracks. the 450 is up for sale coz its just to big for me, i'm always fighting the power and the weight tires me out quickly.

also i'm fed up the valve problems, it seems that i work on the bike more than i ride it.

what i need is a bike that is good for hare scambles and the practice track, is lighter than the 450, a bit less powerful, and something i aint gonna be stripping down every 5 minutes.

i had a go of my mate yz250 and didnt really get on with it, after 2 laps i was knackered and kept exiting the corners in too higher gear. but i'm sure i'd get used to it with some ride time.

i also had a go of a rmz250 which i was very impressed with, tho the seat hight was higher than my crf and the kickstarter was much to high for my hight (5'10").

so what do you think? post your vote below.

cheers.

I tell you what... I rode a YZ250f on some single track and I frickin' loved it! Not the WR but the YZ. I go 240#'s plus the gear and beer and that thing had plenty of poop even in the tight rocky shiznit. We hit about 5 miles of 3-4th gear wider open sagebrushy mildy whoopy stuff and it was a blast compared to my heavy pig.

It will do well on the track as well.

the yzf looks the better choice, i did have an 02 model but it didnt have auto decompression so i struggled with it in the tight stuff. i think they have developed alot since then tho.

as for the crf they have the same trouble with the valves as the 450 dont they?

as for the crf they have the same trouble with the valves as the 450 dont they?

Not in my experience...

If you don't want to worke on valves get a 2 stroke. A 125 would be too little for you if youve been riding a 450. I would say get a YZ250 (those new 05s with the aluminum frame are real nice). With a 2 stroke there are no valves just throw a new piston and rings in about once a year and your ready :cry: I have heard on fourms that the crf250 also has valve issues. If you wanted a 250f i would get the YZF or the rmz/kfx (as long as they are the 05 model the 04 had overheating problums)