Sign in to follow this  

Lk Wenatchee/Goose Creek: Bear sighting! (long)

Hey gang,

Greg H (KTM 450 EXC) and I went up to Goose Creek for a ride yesterday and had a great time. Perfect conditions, warm, but not hot, sunny, moist trail conditions, no dust! Fall leaves turning, awesome scenary at every turn. It was great.

Best part was we saw a bear on the trail. It was neat, my first wild bear sighting ever! Been out here 10 years waiting to see a bear so that was fun. Not sure if it was full grown since he seemed kinda small to me for a bear, but I don't know how big you grow then out here.

Greg was leading the way and he spotted him on the trail so he killed the bike. I pulled up behind him and we watched him climb the hillside opposite us. We thought he would keep climbing the hillside and we could ride on, but he decided to come back down to the trail. :cry:

After waiting a bit I told Greg to get going, but Greg said no way, you go first! Well, when we fired up the bikes the bear got going and dissapeared into the woods and we carried on.

For our loop we did about 61 miles: Lower Chiyawa to Minnow Creek, up the trail that goes by the rocks fields, then on to Mad Lake for lunch. Met some other KTM'ers up there.

Then onto Klone Peak, amazing views. Saw a guy on a XR650L up there with his buds. He gets the Iron Man award for the day. From there we made our way south past the Two Lakes, 1421, some other trails, then down to the road and on back to camp.

On the way down on the forest road we came upon a group of teenagers on dirt bikes and a pickup truck stopped in the middle of the dirt road. Turns out two of the kids bumped each other, one went down on the road, the other kid flew off the side and landed about 30' straight down! :cry:

I could not believe it, but the kid was bascially alright. One of his buddies scrambled down the hill and helped him muscle the bike out since the clutch lever got destroyed. Fortunately they weren't far from the bottom of the hill, and there was an old abandoned road that we could see that they could push the bike to through the brush.

We waited until the kid got to the road to make sure he was ok, then went on our way. Pretty scary stuff. Good thing that kids was 14, can't imagine taking that punishment at my age.

All in all, a great day out in the woods! :cry:

Ed

Isn't bear season open :cry:

I believe it is but its been a while since I hunted bear. Black bear generally don't get too big. I took a bruin one year that weighed about 220 pounds. They do get bigger but most of the ones I've seen are not really large.

My brother and I have spotted 5 black bears in the Lake Wenatchee area this summer. My bother saw a nice cinamon colored one on the back side of Fish Lake, we each saw one further up the Chiwawa river road, beyond the turn off to the Chikamin Trail head, and while moto-camping at Mad Lake we saw 2 cubs and there mom come across the Mad River trail across the meadow and up towards Alder Ridge. Thats the most bears I ever seen.

bears are very cool animals. i had many experiences in 4 years in alaska with brown bears. i used to ride with a rifle and a handgun! :cry:

here is a story my friend sent me a few weeks ago from a small town in southeast alaska. :cry: :cry:

Crazy deal on Friday.  Todd and his son walked into the bank with wide eyes.  Seeing he was dressed in camouflage I ask him if he was coming  or going.  He asked me if I could get off work to help him deal with a bear he just shot in defense of life.  

He went on to tell me that they had planned to deer hunt up in the alpine and were just walking up Sandy Cove creek to gain access to the alpine.  There was lots of bear sign as usual when there are fish in the creek.  About 100 yards in Todd heard his son Dillon yell “right there dad!”  As Todd spun around he heard a bear growl and saw it on two feet coming down on his son. Dillon jacked a shell from his .300 in and shot from the hip hitting the bear in the chest and momentarily stunning it.  They both opened fire at 6-10 feet.  Todd yelled “I’m out!” and Dillon yelled “I’m out too!” The bear was on the ground but still alive and began to belly crawl toward them.  They both ran behind a tree and Todd remembered he had one shell in his pocket which he loaded and reached around the tree and shot the bear again.  At that point they ran about 30 yards, dropped their packs, and got more ammo out and into their guns.  They waited a second to see if the bear was coming and they heard thrashing and growling but it didn’t seem to be coming toward them.  They decided to just get out of the woods and came back to town to report the incident to fish and game who told them they needed to go salvage the head and hide.  They wanted me around with a big bore in case it was still alive, had cubs, or in case another bear had found the carcass during the three hours.  Well, it was dead, and was a big boar (so no cubs).  Dillon and I just covered Todd as he skinned it out.  There were branches breaking less than 50 yards away for about 10 minutes.  The bear was an old boar between 9 ½ - 10 feet square with worn out teeth.  Here are a couple pics.

pete_the_claw.jpg

pete_with_bear.jpg

Black bears are making a come back down here in WA and OR for sure. Still, we have lost the brown/ grizzly bear for good. I'd love to see wolves make it back for real. I saw a cougar 2 miles outside of springfield OR. this year! Awesome!

r

Last time I ran into a black bear was in the fall of 97 during deer season in the Okanagon National Forest, was coming down the hill with a Win Model 70 in 300 REM MAG (so I had zero fear :cry: ) and spotted one coming up the hillside, sun was shining, the coat was so shiny, bear was pretty fat, so he was ready for winter. He saw me from the side just move my head and he ran back down the hill so fast, never saw him again. As for the comments about last brown bear and grizzly, we do have grizzlies in WA state, they are located in the Paysayten (pay say ton) wilderness in the nothern cascades. Brown bears are also very aggressive and not having them all over is OK by me.

That is a seriously big bear! Too bad it had to be killed, but in defense of human life anything goes.

The original text mentioned the bear was base upon a square foot something or other. Any idea how old it was in years?

Greg

35 is an old timer up there as i recall. i'd guess it was in it's late 20s. i think part of the reason the Fish and Game Dept. make you get the skull is so they can measure age by teeth and other indicators. i'll ask my buddy.

r

hey toyota mtd did you get that the bear took more than 5 shots from a .300 Win mag? additionally, todd had dosed it with 5 from a .338! i heard stories of a bear actually walking away from 11 body and head shots with that .300 win mag caliber! the forest service employees must qualify with a .375 which can only be described as an elephant gun, just to walk in the woods!

sorry off topic.

da bears! :cry:

hey toyota mtd did you get that the bear took more than 5 shots from a .300 Win mag? additionally, todd had dosed it with 5 from a .338! i heard stories of a bear actually walking away from 11 body and head shots with that .300 win mag caliber! the forest service employees must qualify with a .375 which can only be described as an elephant gun, just to walk in the woods!

sorry off topic.

da bears! :cry:

:cry: Yean, no bear shots for me, I was not interested, but if he was to charge be, been a whole "nuther" story. I picked up a new rifle, another Winchester Model 70, this one is stainless with a synthetic stock, Leupold Vari-X III 4x12 with a 50 mm objective. Its in the new 300 RUM (Remington Ultra Mag) and sport a muzzle energy of 4,300 ft lbs, the 300 REM MAG is 3300lbs, 338 is about 3600, 30-06 is about 2900, just to give you an idea on the power of this new rifle. I have never fired it yet, its about 2 years old now. But no bear will walk away from this caliber, I'll guarantee it! :cry: