Sign in to follow this  

wr250f won't rev when hot

My '03 wr wont rev out when hot,i have changed the plug and cdi plug cap and checked all the top end and its all in spec.This problem is getting on my nerves as it will run without fault on the roads but as soon as i go offroad it will miss and backfire after 10 minutes,it sounds like it is hitting the rev limiter but only at 1/4 throttle,if i leave it to cool down it will run fine then do the same.Also when it runs ok the ignition light stays off but when it plays up it will start flickering.Any help or advice would be appreciated!!!! :cry:

someone out there must be able to point me in the right direction,i know i have a red bike as well but i'm greedy and like them both!!

Could be carburation. Have you checked your float level? Also what is your jetting setup, altitude, temp, etc.?

yeah i have thought about carburation but that wouldn't make the red ignition light flicker when it is playing up? this is making me think its more electrical,going to try a new cdi next week off a '04 and then just work through all the switches from there :cry:

Yeah, if it does that, it's probably electrical. I wonder if it's as simple as a loose connection. I noticed that you said it only acts up off-road. Could the vibration from that be wiggling one of your connectors? Cheaper than a CDI.

If your rpm drops low enough will your red light come on or flicker? This may just be a symptom of your problem and not the cause. Try tapping your kill switch a few times without killing the motor. Maybe you can make it flicker. If you only have problems on rough ground there may be debris in your carb bowl.

If you only have problems on rough ground there may be debris in your carb bowl.

Wrong thread, sorry.

it really is a funny problem,i did take it up the road with my plug out off the crf and it ran fine yippee i thought,rode up to my riding spot with a new plug in no problem,two laps around a trail we made and bingo problem back again!!

took it home pit plug back in from crf and 50yds up the road and still not running. I a'm not going to buy a new cdi yet but my local mx shop has got a '04 coming in next week and i can borrow it and and see what it does,and i can also try the ignition switch and various bits and solve this problem and ride it,here's hoping!! :cry: