cracked swingarm... whats next?

the corner before this jump is almost a 180 degree turn. its hard packed and off camber. with no traction and very little run to the jump its hard to get the drive.

no 125 has the juice to clear this jump, and ive personally never seen a 250 or even a 426 clearing it. only 450's.

15/47 is the only gearing that works for me. it lets the bike rev before i catch the next gear. i went down to 14/47 and could not stand it... i was actually slower. the power falls flat too early and the gears are too short (for me). the gears are too close as it is.

i would rather be all over the clutch then all over the gearbox.

thats just stupid, its a motocross bike. it is made for jumping and other obstacles on a motocross track.

the corner before this jump is almost a 180 degree turn. its hard packed and off camber. with no traction and very little run to the jump its hard to get the drive.

no 125 has the juice to clear this jump, and ive personally never seen a 250 or even a 426 clearing it. only 450's.

15/47 is the only gearing that works for me. it lets the bike rev before i catch the next gear. i went down to 14/47 and could not stand it... i was actually slower. the power falls flat too early and the gears are too short (for me). the gears are too close as it is.

i would rather be all over the clutch then all over the gearbox.

If your running 15/47 on a 426 your NOT letting the bike rev but rather letting it build slowly (hence your feeling that it pulls longer in each gear and you have to shift less). I promise you that in a "drag race" which is what you are trying to do (get alot of speed quickly for a jump)the 15/47 gearing is not gonna cut it. If your lugging the bike around then your 0-whatever accerlation is not what it needs to be to get you over the jumps. ACCELERATION IS WHAT POWERS YOU OVER THE JUMPS! BTW...250 two strokes have no problem getting over the same obstacles as a 450...

15/47 gearing is bizzare for a 426. :cry:

Get yourself on 14/49 or 14/50 if you want to clear that jump.

If your running 15/47 on a 426 your NOT letting the bike rev but rather letting it build slowly... the 15/47 gearing is not gonna cut it. If your lugging the bike around then your 0-whatever accerlation is not what it needs to be to get you over the jumps...

:cry:

taller gearing seems to work for me. maybe thats the reason i cant clear this jump, but my buddy on a crf450 (with stock 04 gearing) uses the same gears that i do in many of the sections on this track.

what im saying is short gearing makes me lug the engine. taller gearing forces me to rev it out all the way. thats just the way it seems.

i will try shorter gearing again, and see if it works with this configuration. when i went to 14/47, it didnt increase the acceleration much... is this because the rear sprocket diameter didnt change, therefore not giving the engine any more torque over the rear wheel?

what im asking is, would 15/50 have any benefit over 14/47? ive heard that bigger rear sprockets give the engine more leverage over the wheel than smaller ones. maybe this is why 14/47 didnt work for me?

15/47 gearing is bizzare for a 426. :cry:

Get yourself on 14/49 or 14/50 if you want to clear that jump.

Here is your answer...nothing more to say.....

Hi,

I just found TT after purchasing a new 04 450 11 weeks ago.

Guess what one of the first threads I can across

I just checked my bike and I already have a wear/gouge that is 1mm at it's deepest near the weld.

I swapped the chain b4 even riding the bike and its always been adjusted right, I cant believe this prob has existed since 97

Any idea how thick the allow is at that point? I was hoping to put some JBweld in it and then foam over the top

With just a 1 mm wear pattern you're fine.

The best thing I have found is to use Automotive or Outdoor Goop found at most Lowes/Home Depot stores. The Goop product definitely lasts the longest - I've tried regular silicon/RTV and foam sealant.

The good thing is that it is also the worlds best grip glue.

Thanks for the info, I'll have a look around down here to see whats avail.

I didn't like the idea of using silicon as a lot of them release acid (I think its acetic) when they cure and it would eat into the alum.

How come you guys hadn't kicked Yamaha in the butt for being so stupid and producing such a flawed product for so long, since 97 according to motoman393, us here in little old OZ dont have much pull on the manufacturers, I'm sure the mag's wouldn't dare publish a bad review for fear of not getting a test bike next year, hell I can remember all the problems with the vfr750's back in 85 (yes I can race in the vet class) with their cam problems , it was in the US and UK mags for 2 years b4 our mags printed anything.

Crash-- Also, do not use those UFO sliders they don't fit well and wear the swingarm. Use stock or TM designworks. A simple and big help is to just make sure the chain slider is tight to the swingarm. Any looseness will cause the slider to rub the swingarm and wear it. The washers bend with time and llose their grip. I buy new ones with each slider. Also the pre 01 models use phillips screws the later models use allen head screws which are much better, use the allen screws if you have an early bike.

Tool -- Swingarm should be there by sat/monday. I tried to bend the lip back straight and low and behold, a small piece broke off. Do hit it with some JB or silicone before you use it. Shipping was only $18 so if you didn't send the check yet you can change it.

TopGear -- The 426 is meant to go around an MX track and all the fast guys'll tell you the race is won in the corners. All I'm saying is after you've slammed your bike and yourself 10-15 times over the same jump you can't clear, it might be time to take a different approach.

Then again I'm old and would heve given up after the 2nd time at least! No shame backing off a jump no 250 can clear!. Unless your last name is Pastrana and they give you bikes for free.

I love my TM Designworks chain slider, but it lets you know when the chain gets a little loose! Chain slap on a TM slider sounds like a dang firecracker going off. You get used to the noise though- the wear and durability are well worth it.

I agree with your assesment on the TM design works chainguide. It echo's like a big drum if the chain is slightly loose. On the other hand, the thing refuses to show any wear.

I ordered mine and it was missing a bolt. I called TM directly. I called late in the evening and talked to one of the owners. He was very cool . He siad he would get the hardware sent out asap. As he was taking down my name and asress, I started teasing him. I sai dthe guard was excellent for swatting flies with. After all, without bolts, what else was it good for? he fired back and started in on me. I laughed my butt of fand did not think much more about it.

Two days later a box sat on my front porch. I wondered why they sent my bolts in such a big container? I opened it up and found my missing bolts as well as a rear guide he sent to make up "for the trouble they caused me".

This is a top notch company worth dealing with. TM charges a lot, but their products are excellent. No more swingarm damage.

The swingarm is not "carved out for the slider". That is where the slider has worn the the swingarm.

I have an 00 426 and my slider is carved out for the swingarm. I don't know if this is stock, if the previous owner did this - or if it is an after marker slider but this sounds like a good alernative. Again - Not sure if it is stock, modified or after market.

One other thing, the stock gearing I believe is a 14/49. I could see that if some one went with a higher gearing (13/48,47 for example) that the chain would lie 'flatter' on the swingarm and accelerate or create the problem.

I have a pretty well stock 00 426 with what appears to be the stock slider and have no signs of wear on the swingarm at all. Then again I run a 14/52 for woods which I would think would slightly lift the chain off the swing arm. I would also think that regardless of what gearing someone is running, maintaining the proper chain tension has to have some relation to the problem.

RCD :cry:

whats next? cracked frame, linkage?

:cry:

i tell you whats next... a blown 3rd gear, thats what.

i completely lose the 3rd gear - no hookup whatsoever.

i am a member of the blown 4th gear club, and now i join the blown 3rd gear club.

now tell me these things dont wear out over time.

IT WAS THE 15/47 GEARING THAT CAUSED IT!! LOL (Just kidding).

Maybe your bike has had it. I hate to see you go red though...then all of us here won't be able to see you post about valve issues!

Sounds like you have been into the tranny before...get the parts and go to it! I may jinx myself here but I am on the 3rd season with my bike and no tranny problems whatsoever....and no cracked swingarm.

If you do decide to go red and are thinking of a new bike let us know how it works for you.

Maybe your bike has had it. I hate to see you go red though...then all of us here won't be able to see you post about valve issues!

i think my bike has had it. its trying to tell me something. it has served me well, but my bike wants to trail ride now.

the red 450 is a great bike, but i need the handling and bark of a yamaha... and i dont need valve issues. :cry:

heres hoping for an '04.

the red 450 is a great bike, but i need the handling and bark of a yamaha... and i dont need valve issues. :cry:

heres hoping for an '04.

THERE YA GO! :cry: