Sign in to follow this  

2005 valves???

I was wondering if anyone knows about the 2005 valve design. I know for 2004 they are 2 piece and welded at the head and stem. I checked the web sites for both green and yellow bikes and can't find anything. :cry:

the valves arent welded together. The 2 pice thing isnt that big of a problem until they strech. the real problem is not having the proper oil groves, and the cooling thing.Some people say there bike dosent boil over. thats fine but the bike still dose run a bit higher then the rest of the 4 strokes.But... boyseen has fixed the coolong problem. boyseen fond that the fitting coming from the water pump is too big. they are in the making of making a new smaller fitting (like a hose this will provide faster flowing coolent). Im not saying this is the fix but it dose sound good. :cry:

What is the issue with the oil grooves? I haven't heard anything on that yet. I haven't had a real problem with overheating. It was an issue one time until they swapped out the ign. box in that recall. I am putting 2005 radiators on it as soon as I can get them. They are the cheapest I have found so far and they will fix exactly on the 2004 frame. As far as the water pump outlet: what if you put a restrictor in the hose to make it flow faster?

look at those two words, restrict and faster. somehow they seem like opposites to me. you need more flow not a faster flow. how much are the 05 rads going for? the oil groove issue (or as some claim, personally i think they're fishing for an answer to the valve issue) is that one of the cams has an oil groove while the other doesn't.

was at broome this weekend for state championship and team green was there.they didnt change the valve but did change the seat that was supposed causing the problem.says it fine now.will have to wait and see.

I'm with you on the oil groove issue. Just because one has an oil groove doesn't mean the other one should, or needs to have one. It may be worse, now there is less surface area after you cut an oil groove. I agree it was fishing for something related to valves. I say throw this one back into the water.

The oil groove issue relates to the intake cam. Many bikes have had the intake cam seize at the cam journal. The cam runs in a ball bearing on the left side but the right side rides in an aluminum race that is lubricated by oil pumped through an oil hole in the head, without the groove the oil can't distribute properly. On the exhaust side the factory provided an oil groove and it makes perfect sence. Since the forces on the cam lift the right side slightly, an oil groove will allow oil to lubricate the cam journal from the bottom and keep it from seizing. There is no logical reason to limit oil flow to such an important area,we feel this is a very important and necessary modification. There is a good photo and explanation of the oil groove on our web site in the Tech Tips section hopefully it will help clear up any misunderstandings.

I personally have not heard of many cases of cams seizing. Very very few have had this happen. While it may be necessary for racing, it won't make the bike much more reliable. Ya you may have a bearing seize one day but which is cheaper? the bearing or machining the whole head? I must add, this mod does make sense for people who like to rev the bike really high, however this is not what the engine is designed for and understandably problems result.

was at broome this weekend for state championship and team green was there.they didnt change the valve but did change the seat that was supposed causing the problem.says it fine now.will have to wait and see.

sorry dirtmachine :cry: was wanting to know about the above :cry:

Man you are sooo wrong. It is meant to be revved, just not constantly bounced off the rev limiter :cry:

I might be getting an 05 KXF 250 or I might wait untill 06. but all this talk u guys are making are making sound like that bike has huge valve problums. :cry:

it doesn't it has problems because people like to ride on the rev limiter. Faster, as i already pointed out in the other post, yes it is meant to be revved. When i said revved, i meant all the way to the limiter which you agree with being bad for the engine. My apologies :cry:

I prefer not to stay that close to the limiter (it believe it is set for 13,500 correct? i'm not entierely sure though) it's not like numbers are gonna help ya cuz there's no tachometer (sp?) but you'll hear it when it wants to shift. :cry: