Sign in to follow this  

XT550

Might be picking up a really nice 82 Yamaha XT550 for a buddy. Doesn't need anything but a seat cover. Are there any companies that still carry or specialize in the older Yamaha Thumpers?

Post pics when you get it. I don't know how much you can do with an 82, but I did some nice mods on my 1990 DR650. Renthal Twinwalls, progrip 797, K&N, dynojet, jardine exhaust (looking for a nice stainless though), IMS propegs, 125 db horn. Just the small things to improve on the overall package and make it feel updated a bit.

The bike already has Renthal bars, Bark busters, new chain,sprockets. It had new swing arm bearings and bearings in the steering head. Overall the bike is in great shape and starts on the first kick when hot or cold. It has amazingly smooth suspention. The main thing it needs is a new seat cover.

Your local Yamaha dealer should be able to get you a genuine factory original straight from the factory-if they say they cant then they just dont want to try....and then go to the next dealer.