footpegs

Hey guys! I was wondering if low boy pegs are the solution to my problem of feeling cramped and not able to get at the shifter well when riding standing up. I am 6' 1" and have a size 11 boot. I am up 1 spline from stock. Any tecniques or suggestions. I am new and would really appreciate some input. I am frustrated because it is holding me back from getting better. Thanks so much!!

• Experts

The lower pegs will help a little but cause another problem for you. With the lower pegs it will be easier to catch the front of your boots in ruts or just hit the dirt and get rips off the peg, maybe even injure your foot, ankle or knee. Before I would go to lower pegs I would get an extended shifter and rear brake pedal. I know Travis Pastrauna uses them. Another thing you can do is get bar risers on your triple clamps and a taller seat foam from Ceet Racing Products. I don't know who makes the longer shifters and brakes but I know they're available somewhere.

?

Thanks Gary! In the meantime I am going to practice cruising around standing up and shifting. Gary do you have any tecniques to get this down pat. I feel that it is the only thing stopping me from getting better. I am fumbling around trying to grab the next gear. Thank you so much for your response!!!

The lower pegs will help a little but cause another problem for you. With the lower pegs it will be easier to catch the front of your boots in ruts or just hit the dirt and get rips off the peg, maybe even injure your foot, ankle or knee. Before I would go to lower pegs I would get an extended shifter and rear brake pedal. I know Travis Pastrauna uses them. Another thing you can do is get bar risers on your triple clamps and a taller seat foam from Ceet Racing Products. I don't know who makes the longer shifters and brakes but I know they're available somewhere.

?

Gary. I feel kind of bad asking this because you're the king of riding and all, but how would your feet get caught? Wouldnt the inside leg be out and the bike leaning on the inside? Then the peg would drag, the foot up, and the other side is way up???

I hate to jump in, but I speak from experience. I have used the IMS lowboys since they came out, on 3 different bikes. Life is still good, but last year at an enduro, I landed from a jump while on a rutted cowtrail and hooked my left toe, snapping my fibula instantly.

Anyway, since then I have learned to ride with more "toe-in", especially in off-road events. I'm 6'1" and size 11 boot as well. I also use taller seat foam, cause my legs are way too long for the body.

Being at only 1/2" lower, how do you know you wouldn't have snapped your tibula anyways? Not a dis, just a question. I use the lowboy Fastwat F3 pegs and it has really helped with shifting and braking. I have hit the pegs in ruts before but they were huge ruts and I don't know for sure if I would have cleared em anyways. If you ride track I would say they are less prone to hitting things but off road racing may put you at more of a risk. I have banged my toes a couple times with the stock pegs and it doesn't feel good. Haven't banged any toes yet on the Fastways. The wider surface seems to keep my feet flat and up instead of rolling forward.

• Experts

Thanks Gary! In the meantime I am going to practice cruising around standing up and shifting. Gary do you have any tecniques to get this down pat. I feel that it is the only thing stopping me from getting better. I am fumbling around trying to grab the next gear. Thank you so much for your response!!!

You have the right idea, ride while standing and practice it a lot. When you're in the middle to forward position and you are upshifting you have to lift your foot up off the peg and shift with your entire leg. This may be your problem if your tring to shift with your foot still on the peg in this situation. ?

• Experts

?

Gary. I feel kind of bad asking this because you're the king of riding and all, but how would your feet get caught? Wouldnt the inside leg be out and the bike leaning on the inside? Then the peg would drag, the foot up, and the other side is way up???

It's common for a foot to get caught in the dirt and ripped off the peg in ruts, especially in rutted compressions; like G-out ditches. Riding on the balls of the feet will help this situation a lot. ?