Sign in to follow this  

Oil Change Question... is this OK?

Hi All,

I have a new '04 DRZ400s which I just changed the oil in today. It has about 450 miles on it and I've had it for about a month. When I was replacing the filter, I noticed some odd markings in the filter housing (see picture), is this normal?

Thank you for your help... I love the site.

Heidi

DRZ_oil_change.jpg

Now for the question you did not ask. There is an "O" ring that goes on the hollow center boss in the filter housing before the new filter goes in. Often it sticks to the old filter and gets thrown away. Without the "O" ring, oil by-passes the filter.

That's so funny you mentioned that. It was stuck to the old filter and I missed it. I put the new filter and oil in without it. I got my biked all washed up and put it away. It was when I was putting the old filter in my "to be disposed of" pile that I noticed the o-ring stuck to it. Needless to say I swore a little and then enlisted the help of my husband to hold the bike on it's side, so I could install the o-ring while creating as little mess as possible. I guess a good question would be how often should you replace the o-ring.

Thanks,

Heidi

That's so funny you mentioned that. It was stuck to the old filter and I missed it. I put the new filter and oil in without it. I got my biked all washed up and put it away. It was when I was putting the old filter in my "to be disposed of" pile that I noticed the o-ring stuck to it. Needless to say I swore a little and then enlisted the help of my husband to hold the bike on it's side, so I could install the o-ring while creating as little mess as possible. I guess a good question would be how often should you replace the o-ring.

Thanks,

Heidi

Good on ya for figuring it out.. Many before you have tossed it out with the filter,, and never known there was a o ring util they found this place..

Use it until lost or nicked/torn. Order one now, and the filter cover oring.. Keep um in the spares pile for the day ya need it.