Sign in to follow this  

Knocking noise at idle

Yesterday, after a couple hours of riding, my 02 450 started making a loud knocking noise at idle. The wierd thing is, it went away as I gave it gas. I let it sit for a while and started it back up. The noise was gone at idle. When I got back to the truck and it had completely cooled off, I checked the coolant and it was low. I filled it up and started it and the noise was gone, but the water pump was leaking.

Could low coolant (running hot) cause this noise? Any other thoughts :cry:

Probably nothing, but I've seen stuff like that on older two strokes.

As a simple test pull in the clutch on idle and see does the knocking still happen. Mine and my friends kx's used to do that. i think it was bearings on the clutch on the kawasakis.

I would go along with that, except it never did it before. This is a pretty noticeable noise. I thought maybe the timing chain was loose or something. I hope you're right, but I really don't feel much better. I may sell this and get an 05, but I don't want to stick someone else with a problem.

My 02 CRF 450 does the same thing, my friend who has a 03 did the same thing, he fixed his with replacing the counter balancer bearing.

that didnt work on mine tho. :cry:

Ive also replaced the piston, checked the vlaves, replaced the clutch basket with a hinson basket along with a few gears that work with the gear on the basket, and replaced the water pump bearing and seal.

none of that worked. :cry:

im about to replace the bearings in the rocker assembly up on top to see if that will fix it. :cry:

its hard to find the ticking noise on the 02 it seems. :cry:

if its coming from the top its mostlikely the bearings on the rocker assembly i would think.

if its coming from the bottom its mostlikely from the counter balancer bearing or the water pump bearing.