Sign in to follow this  

No valve problems here

I've been quiet on the valve thing for a while now and figured I'd give an update on my valves, which seems to be a subject that is blown slightly out of proportion. I have one of the early KXF's which I've owned for over a year now. At 4 months, I checked the valves, and they needed to be re-shimmed as the clearances were out of tolerance (tight).

I checked them again at 8 months, and no adjustment was needed as everything was still within tolerances. This weekend I checked them again (12 months) and all 4 are still within spec.

I can't explain why I'm not having problems and others are, but in case it is related to riding style, tracks, or maintenance here are some details:

I race outdoor MX only (125c, +25am, +30am), east coast mainly clay which always seems to be dusty by 2nd moto time.

I don't spend much time at the rev-limiter. Air filter is cleaned/oiled before each day's riding and engine oil is changed every 2 rides.

We'll see if I just jinxed myself and end up posting in a few weeks about my own valve problems.. :cry:

Thanks for the post, it's good to actually read posts that i think the majority of kxf/rmz riders would post. Im checkin my valves very soon.

I was like you. I have one of the first (vin#30) and had no valve problems for 9 months. Then it was like a snowball rolling downhill. It seems like once it started, it got worse.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you though. Just keep an eye on 'em.

~Tex

RMZ+ssv