Sign in to follow this  

am i too small for a 230?

hey everybody, i am looking for a new bike, but i do not know what will fit me. I have been looking at honda 230's and some 250's, but i do not know if i am too small. I weigh around 125-130 and i am 5'5". i would like to hear anybodys input on a bike.

Actually, size-wise that is probably a perfect bike for you. But what is your skill level? If you're good - or if you get good, you'll be upgrading to a 250 in a year anyway. If you're still growing, you should go ahead and get a 250 also (if finances allow).

Lunchboy has a good point. My son mastered the 230 very quickly. He was the same height and weight as you). It was no longer a challange for him and he was pushing the safe limits on jumps etc. He now has a YZ 426F that is perfect for him.

The 230 is a great bike and fun to ride but has its limits. I love the bike, it is perfect for my style of trail riding.

My daughter who is 5' can ride it around the yard - she just cant stop without falling over :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

thanks, i have a lot of skill on dirt bikes, i have ridden my dads ttr250 yamaha, my freinds kx85, and a old kx80. I just prefer four strokes. Well, i was thinking about the xr250, but i am not really sure. I want the 250, because i can have it forever. well, thanks for your input, keep em comin. :cry:

I'm 5'5" and 150 lbs. I can handle it just fine. It's a little heavy if I dump it. Solution.....don't dump it! :cry: I do have a little trouble with xrDan's 250. It's a tad too tall for me to be confident.

Hmm, I may have the opposite problem. I am 6'0" and 180lbs and I plan on getting the CRF-230 in about two weeks. Eventually I will upgrade to the CRF-250 and give the 230 to my son, I just need to get back into riding since I have been out a long time and figured it was the best way to do it without pushing it.

hey guys, tybmx2006 my wife rides a crf230, she's 5'7" and 125lbs, she loves the thing. dbunye i'm 6'3" and 200-205 depending on the day, I ride the 230 on my property with my son on his xr50 but in the open dessert it doesn't have the umph that my yz250 does, kinda depends on the kind of riding your gonna do... great beginner/goofin around bike but if ya want pucker factor you gotta have more motor/suspension. just my 2 cents.

im a little taller than you and i just got an 05' CRF250 :cry: and it fits fine for me plus I have a friend who just purchased a 230 and finds that it lacks in power and he got sick of it in no time at all. It also matters on ur Riding style Race or Off-road. all in all i recommend going with the 250 to grow into and you wont get tired of the lack of power

-Pro Circuit Ti-4 exhaust system

-RG3 Triple Clamps(red)

-Renthal Handlebars

-Uni Filter

-05' N-Style graphics

I'm 6' tall and I can barely touch the ground on my 250!

You'll have a 230 for a long time. I had mine for a year. They're bulletproof too! Easy to maintain too. For me, it would be hard going from a 100 to a 250. You're always used to pinning it on a 230, I cant even imagine on a 100! The 250 takes more throttle controll.

Maybe you could test ride both bikes and get a feel for both of them. Both are great bikes and you wouldn't be dissapointed in either of them..

Oh, by the way, even if you get a used 230 and hold onto it for a year, keep it lookin good and in good running condition, and you won't lose much money. The resale value stays pretty high on them :cry:

no ur not to small, my youngest brother (11) is 5'1" and 85lbs and loves our "moms" 230 and uses it every time we go trail riding. He says its alot eaiser to ride then his RM85, even though its like 100lbs heavier it just has a more user freindly powerband. If ur 5'5" u will have no problem riding a 230 or even something like a 250 4stroke. My best freind rides an rm125 and is only 5'6" and he can put both feet on the ground easily on my WR which is almost an inch taller then a 125 2 strokes. If u go with the 230 u will need new suspension after about 5 rides.

Height is not a good indicator. two people the same height may have way different inseam length. Even though they might both be 5'-6", one person may feel O.K. with the seat height and the other might feel like the bike is too tall. You just have to decide what is comfortable for YOU. Go sit on one and decide for your self. Also, as your skills increase, seat height will be of less and less concern. You'll see as you progress. The most capable bikes have the longest travel suspension. It will also depend on what kind of riding you will ultimately find appealing. These choices will help you decide on what bike to get.

I agree with coeshow. If you are experienced, then the seat height will not be much of a factor. It sits pretty low, and is one of the best all-around bikes out there, in my opinion. I'm 5'7" with a 30" inseam, and this bike was very comfortable to ride.

hey guys, wanna know something pretty funny?

I just had a little growth spurt. I used to be 5'5" 2 weeks ago i think. Now i am 5'7". Isnt this great? i have an inseam of 32" or 2'8". I am growing! I am so happy right now! I am working my way up to a 250. I gotta find out how much i way though. I need to buy a scale. But anyway, do you guys think i am just right for a 230 as i am now? or a 250 right now?

I am so happy. LOL :cry: :cry: