Sign in to follow this  

raptor to yz250f or yz400f/yz426f?

hi

Iam new to this website but anyway i curently have a 01 raptor660 a few mod's slip on exhaust etc. i have never drivin a dirt bike befor but i have had several different quads. i weigh 170 iam 5'11 and iam wondering if a yz250f is gona be fun/powerful compared to my raptor or should i just go right to a yz400f or a yz426f.remeber i have never drivin a dirt bike befor so i dont wont something like a yz450f that has so much power i dont no what to do with it all.What kinda power can i expect out of a 250f like is it in 4 gear gona get me into a wheele liek on the raptor or are they pretty gut less.also does anyone on this site liek in alberta around edmonton. thnx for the help

If you can afford it keep the Raptor and buy a WR250F do that ,I've got a 04/GasGas 450 Quad and a 04/WR250F .Wouldnt have one with out the other ...Two of my mates have Raptors and bikes as well one has a 03/525 KTM and the other has a 01/WR426 ,Getting back to the fun factor ,You wont be dissapointed with the two wheeler .My mates and I get a rush out of riding our quads one weekend then the next weekend we take out our bikes ,It's just as much fun as riding the quads ... Hope this helps... :cry:

01 Raptor to 02 WR250F rider here.

HP comparison: Stock 01 Raptor about 33 hp, modded about 38 HP.

Stock YZ250F around 33 HP, with half the weight and much better suspension so you can ride faster, farther w/o getting as tired.

As a life long quad rider, IMO, you would be better off starting with the 250F as opposed to the big bores. I'm happy with mine as most of my ridng is tight woods and around my property; no need for warp speed.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB6&Number=1358342&Forum=UBB6&Words=Can%20I%20handle%20It&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=1349359&Search=true#Post1358342

This is a post a made a while ago asking a pretty simular question so you might want to check it out. :cry:

I rode a friends of mines dad's 05 250F since then and I think Im still going to get a 450. Sure the 250F's accelerate like no other, but it just doesn't have the power that Im use to.

Also I can man handle the 250F after only going around the track twice and I don't want that, I want something like I had to do with my Raptor where I have to learn and progress over time and eventually be a good rider. Not go out there and within a week of riding already out grow my brand new dirtbike.

Anyways its your decission, and try to get acess to riding one before buying one. Hope I helped ya out. :cry:

I dunno its really up to your descission

the yzf250 and wr250 are all about corner speed and momentum maintenence. This is a much practiced art. The big bore is easier to go fast on in the early stages of your riding. I'd say the 400 or 426 is the way to go for a newbie. Just my opinion. This is assuming your not ridng in tight woods where you're constantly in 1-2 gear. If tight woods is your gig, then go with the 250's as they are easier to manuever and power is'nt as big of a factor.

I went from riding nothing for 18 years to riding a TTR225 and then QUICKLY to a YZ250F. I have only managed to get out a few times on this bike but OMG is it a blast. I have thought a few times that a 400 series bike would be a better fit for me but I am only really thinking that if I decide to get competitive. I was thinking of getting a 400/426/450 right after the TTR but everyone I talk to and everywhere I read says those things can be dangerous to someone with new/no skills on a two wheeled bike. Just my opinion though....btw, I live in Grande Prairie AB, about 450km from Edmonton.

thanks for the guys help i do havea few more questions.How much more power does a 450 have then a 426 or a 400. also what the average drving time u can get on a tank of gas on a 250 and the 250.And in race with a yz250f vs raptor both stock,just down a road for top speed what would win,i know that on the track or in the bush the yz250f would win but for top speed witch one has more speed.And also are the yz250f good hillclimbers.and do they have enough power to do anything in sand.

thanks for the guys help i do havea few more questions.How much more power does a 450 have then a 426 or a 400. also what the average drving time u can get on a tank of gas on a 250 and the 250.And in race with a yz250f vs raptor both stock,just down a road for top speed what would win,i know that on the track or in the bush the yz250f would win but for top speed witch one has more speed.And also are the yz250f good hillclimbers.and do they have enough power to do anything in sand.

sorry ment between a 250 and 450 for the average drive time on a tank of gas.

If you really like your Raptor don't get a bike. The difference in suspensions alone will kill the fun factor on the quad. :cry:

Here is something for you to consider: The YZF450 has a detuned YZ450F engine. If the YZF450 is a fast, powerfull quad then imagine something with half the weight, more power and is 10x better at soaking up bumps.

i had an 03 raptor with yoshi exhaust and lots of other mods. Never had a bike before but messed around on my friends bikes (yz80, xr200) while they rode my raptor and i realized that quads are soo much easier and half the fun. THe raptor is a SICK trail quad and you can be more "balls to teh wall" because there is no traction=balance factor. i have a 250f now and i have never looked back. o and btw, my stock bike beats all my friends with modded raptors and predators. IF you are the type of kid that rides like an a-hole, doesnt wear your helmet, destroys terrain on purpose, drinks and drives, or drives wrecklessly...stick to quads. Us bikers dont want you. If your not, then join the family. :cry:

Also I can man handle the 250F after only going around the track twice and I don't want that, I want something like I had to do with my Raptor where I have to learn and progress over time and eventually be a good rider. Not go out there and within a week of riding already out grow my brand new dirtbike.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

ditto.

oh, and by the way, the shift sequence is 1st down, then 2nd 3rd 4th 5th are up. it would appear that you didn't get past 1st gear.

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

Can they climb sand hills?? They are awesome if you know how to do it. Also safer in a way than quads. If you do manage to kill your quad on a hill you can't stop, you gotta jump out of the way (over the bars, to the side, etc.). When riding a dirt bike and you kill it on the side of a hill, you can lay it over, jump off, catch your breath and head back down. If you let go of your quad, it will tumble down the hill and something might break.

I wouldn't worry about the 250f not being enough. You only weigh 170, I weigh 215. The bike is enough power for me. I'm sure it would be more than enough for you. I really want a 450 Honda now, my bike just isn't as powerful as I like. I'm stuck with my 250f, but I would at least get some serious time on a 250f and a 450 before you make your decision. Don't screw up and get hurt.

ditto.

oh, and by the way, the shift sequence is 1st down, then 2nd 3rd 4th 5th are up. it would appear that you didn't get past 1st gear.

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:Oh god, please stop my sides oh my sides!!!! :lol: :lol: :p;) ;) :cry: :cry: :lol:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB6&Number=1358342&Forum=UBB6&Words=Can%20I%20handle%20It&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=1349359&Search=true#Post1358342

This is a post a made a while ago asking a pretty simular question so you might want to check it out. :cry:

I rode a friends of mines dad's 05 250F since then and I think Im still going to get a 450. Sure the 250F's accelerate like no other, but it just doesn't have the power that Im use to.

Anyways its your decission, and try to get acess to riding one before buying one. Hope I helped ya out. :cry:

I dunno its really up to your descission

Great input! You summed it up like only a 14yr. old could. :cry:

hi

Iam new to this website but anyway i curently have a 01 raptor660 a few mod's slip on exhaust etc. i have never drivin a dirt bike befor but i have had several different quads. i weigh 170 iam 5'11 and iam wondering if a yz250f is gona be fun/powerful compared to my raptor or should i just go right to a yz400f or a yz426f.remeber i have never drivin a dirt bike befor so i dont wont something like a yz450f that has so much power i dont no what to do with it all.What kinda power can i expect out of a 250f like is it in 4 gear gona get me into a wheele liek on the raptor or are they pretty gut less.also does anyone on this site liek in alberta around edmonton. thnx for the help

If your thinking at all about a 400 or 426, then why are you so against a 450? There is hardly any difference, they are all super-torquey. If you really want to make the switch to a dirtbike, get a 250F, you will be plenty happy with it coming from a 660 Raptor.