Sign in to follow this  

Need my head pipe repaired

My headpipe has a pretty big ding in it. Are there any good repair shops for 4-stroke exhausts?

Pacific Coast Pipe Repair did wonders with my 2-stroke stuff. Not sure if they do thumper stuff or not. They advertise in all of th emx mags.

I haven't used them but I hear great things about the pacific pipe repair. Here is a link to their website

pipe repair

On my 450 I repaired a ding on my headpipe myself and it took all of 15 minutes and cost about $15. Its very easy. Here is what I did:

1) Bought expansion plug (used 1 1/2" for my 450, I'm guessing 250 is 1 1/4 or something), rubber valve stem, 1 1/4" 6x6 " piece of steel (or however thick is needed for valve stem, 2 bolts w/ washers and nuts, small piece of innertube.

2) Take off header. Put the expansion plug in end that silencer goes on.

3) Take the piece of steel, drill a hole in the middle and pull the rubber valve through. Line up the headpipe and drill two more holes in the steel plate to bolt the header pipe onto the plate.

4) Before you bolt it to the plate, put the innertube between the pipe and the steel to form a seal. Be sure to cut a hole in the tube around the valve.

5) Bolt on headpipe to the steel plate, pump it up to 35 psi.

6) My friend is a welder so we used his torch and just applied some heat on the ding. Move it around so it doesn't get to hot and you'll see the ding come right out.

:cry:

Pacific Coast attempted to fix my titanium header pipe after I had CRUSHED it... they tried, but it didn't line up properly after they did what looked to be a great job getting the thing puffed out again! But they had called me personally to tell me they weren't sure about it, and promptly refunded my money after I called them back!

So overall I would recommend them, I think for anything but the major crush-jobs they must do a great job (or they wouldn't be able to afford to have such a great guarentee!) And turn around was pretty good, took just over a week from me sending it out to getting it back...

:cry:

Riding again, where did you get the expansion plug and the valve stem? Is that something I could go buy at Lowe's?

Also, does anybody know of a shop on the east coast, so I don't have to deal with as much shipping time if I send it off? Thanks. :cry: