Sign in to follow this  

NorCal Question... Chalk Bluff Staging Area?!?

Curious if any TT'rs have been to the Chalk Bluff staging area outside of Nevada City.

What does this area have to offer? Marked Trails? Significant riding terrain / Single Track? Know of any links that provide more info, or trail maps?

I find very little about the staging area on the web, so I'm hoping a local can give me more info. PM's are welcome too if you wanna keep the place hush hush. :cry:

Thanks

~cc

Ooh, it don't sound that good. Bummer.

I drove from Greenhorn Creek (Red Dog Rd.) across some mountains and ended up at that staging area. I thought maybe I found something good when I saw some of the trails were marked with the MX marker.

Earlier this year, BigRed04 took a pack of us on a fantastic single-track trail in those mountains, and I was thinking that the C.Bluff SA might be a quicker route to the same destination. There were a few spots along the road that I recognized from the trail ride.

Maybe the mapped trails aren't that great, but a PM'er tells me there are some unmarked trails that keep the place interesting.

Thanks for the feedback nonetheless! :cry:

Took a guided tour today courtesy MCD :cry:

1st & 2nd gear almost all day. Very tight single track with well-marked trails. Terrain is much like that of Georgetown, but add in more loose rocks and definitely more roots. Trails consistenly crossed wider jeep trails, but we spent very little time on those roads. Some trails that aren't on the map led to some outstanding views. We saw a couple more groups of riders, but saw most people at the staging area.

We rode for about 5-6 hours and didn't experience much of what the area has to offer.

My assessment? Well, it doesn't suck, and mopeds would die a quick death. However, at 1:45 driving time from Roseville, I'd just as soon head to G.Town or NoForestHill. I could see going to Chalk Bluff maybe once a year to see what new trails are available, but more likely during a wetter season. Hmm, it'll probably be sacked with snow though. :cry: Super dusty all day, and no creeks to cool off in.

Thanks MCD for the guided tour. Much appreciated.