Sign in to follow this  

Unabiker RG and the kicker.

FYI. Mounted my new Unabiker radiator guards today on my kicker and had a small problem. The cable linkage for the manuel decompresson (where it connected to the post on the barrel) was in the way and could not be rearranged, so out came the grinder. I had to grind an area out of the lower support arm (the one that connects to the tank bolt support)on the inside of the Unabiker guard where it attaches with the fuel cell. No problem, but I hate having to modify anything that I paid top dollar for. IMO things should be made to work right the first time or the directions should mention that modification is required.

That's good to know Phile,and without a dought no mods should have to be done.Just another justification for more tools!

FYI. Mounted my new Unabiker radiator guards today on my kicker and had a small problem. The cable linkage for the manuel decompresson (where it connected to the post on the barrel) was in the way and could not be rearranged, so out came the grinder. I had to grind an area out of the lower support arm (the one that connects to the tank bolt support)on the inside of the Unabiker guard where it attaches with the fuel cell. No problem, but I hate having to modify anything that I paid top dollar for. IMO things should be made to work right the first time or the directions should mention that modification is required.

Keeping in mind every bike is different,,, tweaked, bent, or just bolted together different from the factory... Then your adding an aftermarket part to that very imperfect machine, and mods are very normal and part of the experience of installing aftermarket parts.

With that said,, perhaps you could contact Brian and inform him of your issue.. That may actually prove to be a useful point of communication,,, :cry:

Brian is a stand up guy,, and well work with his customers,, give him a try. bbennett447@yahoo.com

strange,but every bike is different.suzukis are unfortuneatly bad about it.

i have them on my kicker.they slipped right on.

Actually, it is not a complaint, the end result works. I am happy with the product and I know that 99% of the DRZ's sold are either the S or E. The kicker is an uncommon model. AND FOR ALL OF YOU READING THIS, THE UNABIKER IS THE BEST PROCUCT FOR PROTECTING THE EXPENSIVE RADIATORS - PERIOD! I also know that many aftermarket parts have to be modified to fit correctly because of the variances in production of the bike and the aftermarket parts. My radiators, and decompression set-up, are not tweeked (just like it came from the factor) and the cut-out I had to make on the radiator guards was quite a bit, so anyone with a kicker needs to know that. I tweaked things for 30 minutes before I gave in to the notion that modification was necessary. I will give him a courteous e-mail. :cry:

batteries are dead in my cam! :cry:

anyway,i looked at mine and i see the issue your are having.

mine is very close to the guard but does clear just barely.

I had to cut into the lower support about 1/3-1/2 way through the width of the support to get it to fit, and the clearance to the decompression cable housing is about 1/16" of an inch now. No worries. I tried to get the cable to either fit over or under the guard first, but it would have severely bound the set-up of the cable housing if I could get it to work at all.

Just found this post....

Snap some pics and I'll make some mods.

The E/K guards are about to recieve an update based on feedback and things I've learned from crashing this bike another year.

hey unibiker i had to remove one of the lower braces to fit my yosh header is that gonna be alright. i wish the tab behind the fan was bigger i could have drilled new holes for the rod/brace.

Hey Uncle A,

The better solution would be to egg out the holes where the rad to frame bolts go to allow you to move the guard a little bit. If you still need to gain a little room, open the support bolt holes a bit too.

I really think you want that lower support in there. It does a lot of work transfering forces from that lower corner to the frame.

:cry:

Hey Uncle A,

The better solution would be to egg out the holes where the rad to frame bolts go to allow you to move the guard a little bit. If you still need to gain a little room, open the support bolt holes a bit too.

I really think you want that lower support in there. It does a lot of work transfering forces from that lower corner to the frame.

:cry:

thanks i dint think about the frame mount holes and it didn't look like there was enough meat on the support bolt tab but if i egg them both it should give me the clearance i need :cry:

hey i didnt know you were in indy i was just down there great place except no one wears hemets :cry: :cry:

hey i didnt know you were in indy i was just down there great place except no one wears hemets :cry: :cry:

Yeah...sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one who values my life more than I value "looking cool."

Let me know the next time you're in town. I love showing off the Unabiker compound and meeting fellow TT'rs. :cry:

alright, i know ill be down there again this time next year for a custom installer show id love to see the compound.