Sign in to follow this  

Cranberry Lake Hare Scramble - man, I am beat

Man, what a course. The field riding was great, nice and fast, deep berms and all. But once you got into the woods, the nightmare began.

Rode the Open C class, got second from holeshot and held that until we got into the woods. Saw a lot of bikes buried deep in ruts and going absolutely nowhere. The trail narrowed and the carnage began. Bashed my way past a lot of stuck bikes, blazing new trail and all.

After that, the course was great. I rode good on first lap, great on second and hung on for the 3rd lap. I made the cut-off before end of race to get one extra lap in, and man, I was beat. It took 2 1/2 hours to finish 3 laps!!! Hit a tree in mid 3rd gear, left arm has some nice linear bruises with a beauty on left thigh.

Took about 1 hour to clean bike, must've been about 10 lbs of mud on it, but all in all, I did great. Finished 5th in my class out of 25 or so I believe. There were about 5 dnf in my class, actually in each class for that matter. I have never seen so many bikes littering the course.

Advil, here I come!!!

How did everyone else do?

mx813

Glad the drive home was only 20 minutes. This race flat kicked my butt. I had a great start but faded towards the end. I'm going to bed now. This old man is wooped :cry:

that course was a lot different than I was expecting, I heard about the peate bogs beforehand, but I didn't expect the mud to be everywhere and out in the woods! Still, made for an interesting time. I did my fair share of beating in new trail to get around the bottlenecks, or often there were several good lines but people seemed so tired they wanted to sit and wait for the guy stuck in the direct line. I don't think I've ever seen so many dead bikes or people along a race course, the goldenspike seemed bad with about 5-6, but there was at least a dozen or more here!

the grass track sections were pretty cool! I can't think of anyone that would have not liked that. it was a nice break after each wood section.

I rode open C as well. didn't get the best start as the bike didn't fire on the first kick, but I ended up 2nd in the class. The overalls on the scoring seemed to be screwed up, one guy told me that they didn't figure out the overall by laps, so guys with only 2 laps could show better overall than guys that completed 3 if they came in at the end before the guy with 3, that seemed kind of lame.

My girlfriend took a few pics of the race, mostly around the MX section. Too bad she wasn't able to venture out onto the track to get some pics of the carnage in the mud!!! I'll try to post them tomorrow.

very interesting race :cry:

This was my first ride/race since I had surgery in August. I was planning on taking it easy, but that lasted until I got to the starting line. Something about being lined up and staring down your line to the first turn makes you want to go for it.

Had a crummy start but started picking some riders off. The woods sections were very tough with the deep holes, tree roots, and sections of river rock. I did okay with the technical stuff and let it rip out on the grass track.

While going through a woods section in 3rd gear my front wheel came to a sudden stop in a hole, but my body kept on going--bam right over the bars. My bike remained upright in the hole. I wrestled my bike out of the hole and had to take a break, I was beat. I sucked down the last of my Gatorade and heard someone calling my name. It was a buddy from our club who was also stuck in a hole. I walked over to where he was and helped free his CR250 from a bike-swallowing hole. I got back on my bike and took off. Another mile down the trail and here was my buddy with his bike buried again. I stopped and helped pull it out, but now I was toast.

Without any water, fatigue started setting in and my head was spinning. I was on my 3rd lap there was still 20 minutes of the event remaining. I went into survival mode as the course entered the woods. I got stuck in a hole and barely had the strength to pull the 270lb WR400F out of the sticky mud. I looked at my odometer and I still had 5 miles to go before the finish (8 mile course). I decided I'd had enough. I found a quick line to get back to the pits and turned in my tag. So I was scored for completing 2 laps.

Once back at the truck I could hardly move, my head hurt, my arms, shoulders, legs, even my jaw hurt. I layed there sick for awhile, after I heaved I felt a lot better and headed home.

I probaby over did it for my first time on a bike in 3 months and first time of doing anything strenuous since having kidney surgery last month. But it was fun and it was such a great feeling to be back on a bike.

mrudy, I had an otb incident as well. it occured shortly into the first lap, about the 2nd time out of the woods into some of the tall grass area. I hadn't seen any of the mud bogs yet and still did not know what to expect. I had just passed a buddy of mine and came upon one of those "black mud" spots where everybody was going around. It looked like a great opportunity to pass about 4-5 guys trying to go around it by just shooting straight though the middle! I hit the pipe and thought I was going to shoot right across, but as soon as I hit it the front end came down and came to a stop, I flipped over the bars and the bike flipped up and popped out of the mud just to the side of me. This was very fortunate though because both me and the bike had landed on dry ground, with the bike still running (yeah for rekluse auto-clutch) I jumped on and took off without hardly losing any positions.

I think that little 200 was like cheating out in the deep mud. At first I thought I would have a lot of problems since the motor is such a high-rev and normally does not do good in mud, but it seemed like the light weight of the bike just kept it on top, and the extra wheel spin just kept the motor going instead of getting bogged down!

I wish somebody would have got that race on helmet cam! It's one of those races you look back on and just laugh about the deep mud and the steam from overheating bikes so thick you can't hardly see the rider!

I did get some pictures posted that my girlfriend took. I wish she could have got out onto the nasty parts of the course, would have been a hoot having pics of people stuck in the mud. here is the link below to the gallery:

cranberry lake pictures

here are a few from the album

9095361-L.jpg

9095175-L.jpg

9095204-L.jpg

I rode 4-stroke Expert, did 5 laps and thought I was going to puke.

I got a good start was 2nd into the 1st turn, made the pass and led for very short time until I balked and was passed by 3 guys! I re-passed one of them but the other two were riding too fast for me to catch, much less pass. This turned out to be our finishing order.

I knew this was going to be a tough race when w/in the first mile of the 1st lap I saw recent ISDE medalist Paul Neff's bike stuck in a rut so deep the handle bars were keeping it from disappearing into the peat bog. This was in the center of the trail! On the obvious line, not some sneaky off-line route preferred by most pros!

I thought for sure that the 4th lap would be my final circuit and gave it my all to successfully stay ahead of the guy I'd been racing w/ for the previous 3 laps. When I got to the finish line they said I had time for another lap. Doh! I was spent but kept going... very slowly. About half way thru the 5th lap he passed me and I didn't have anything for him. In fact, I couldn't even keep up. I did get a good look at him when he passed and I thought he looked like he was about 16 years old. Hey PUNK, try this when you're 40! Ends up he wasn't in even in my class.

To make matters worse, there was a series of 4 relatively technical hill climbs all w/in about 3/8 of a mile (I hear they omitted them for the short course.) As I was gasping for breath and attempting to get the last hint of moisture out of my long since drained Camel Back, there was a guy stalled on the biggest hill climb and I had to attempt it from a standing start... "Missed it by that much" I lost traction on a root about 7/8 of the way up and had to muscle it the rest of the way as I mercilessly bounced it off the rev-limiter in a lame attempt to convert wheel spin to forward motion. I finished the 5th lap and don't think I shifted out of 1st gear until I put it in neutral to load 'er in the van.

I don't remember ever being as sore from riding as I am right now.

That race kicked my A$$!

-Tyler

The overalls on the scoring seemed to be screwed up, one guy told me that they didn't figure out the overall by laps, so guys with only 2 laps could show better overall than guys that completed 3 if they came in at the end before the guy with 3, that seemed kind of lame.

The "overall" that you guys are looking at is the overall bike to cross the line once the time limit has expired. These races are not run on a lap system as in motocross. When the 2 hour time limit is up, they throw the checkered flag. The first bike through is 1st overall FINISHER, and so on down the line. So, the ACTUALL LEADER of the race or class may have just made it though the check point before time expired, or may be the 30th bike through after time expires.

The race organizers then seperate riders by class. They then put them in order of how many hole-punches each riders tag has. Then the lowest "overall" finish. So the lowest overall finish with the most punches in thier tag is the class winner.

Hope this explains it for everyone.

Moe

i had a friend that raced (Erik Johnson on a KTM125SX if anybody met him) he was beat enough that he didnt even finish. He told me all about the bike eating ruts. im glad i didnt enter now.

Trav,

Looks like you got some good pics there. Couldn't see if she took some shots of the Open C start wave. I was lined up on far right side and most the pics seem to be pointed to those lined up on the far left side if you are facing the race course direction.

Good job on the 2nd place finish. I swear I was in a better position but it is hard to tell once everyone got jammed up in the mud / tree / holes, etc... Once I got through all that, I rode most of the race solo except to pass people. You probably did a good job getting around the first wave of stuck people including me :cry:

oh well...rimrock is next on the list with a another Top 5 finish being my goal.

mx813

Hey Moe I liked your near backwards get off when we were drag racing down the straight away. We were side by side, ripping through the gears, approaching max velocity, when I could see a WR450F nearly vertical next to me! Moe hit a knob or bump that launched the front wheel. I thought he was a gonner for sure! I was in such shock that I slowed down enough that he aced me out in the next turn. I thought we'd be picking up pieces of blue plastic for sure on that one!

A friend from my club actually duct taped a video camera to his helmet for the event. He rode in the Vet Am class. I'll find out if he got anything worthwhile.

Trav, your girlfriend got a direct picture of me at the riders meeting, are you sure she wasn't checking me out??? :cry:

Anyone else puke after the event besides me??? That's a first for me.

Anyone want to buy a "slightly" used WR400F that needs a new clutch, chain, sprockets?

By the way fellas, as soon as I get the event results from the club I'll figure out overall places and post them to www.nmaoffroad.org in the event results section. Hopefully soon.

We were side by side, ripping through the gears, approaching max velocity, when I could see a WR450F nearly vertical next to me!

I think Moe had to keep it taped to make up for being asleep @ the wheel when the flag dropped. The poor bastard was dfl into t-1. What happened Brian? Was your battery dead and you actually had to kick like one of us commoners on an old 426?

I hope your race got better after the start.

Cheers,

Tyler

PS: Excellent explanation of the finish and scoring procedure. Off-road is a bit different than most types of racing and vast majority of people have no clue how it works.

Anyone else puke after the event besides me??? That's a first for me.

Not quite that far...felt like for the last 3-4 miles, got real dizzy since I was long out of water. Drank about a 1/2 gallon after the race and just walked around slowly.

I talked to another RMC team member and he said I ran into him in that nasty rock section that did a hard left in the trail towards mid/end of course. I don't remember running into anybody.

mx813

We were side by side, ripping through the gears, approaching max velocity, when I could see a WR450F nearly vertical next to me!

I think Moe had to keep it taped to make up for being asleep @ the wheel when the flag dropped. The poor bastard was dfl into t-1. What happened Brian? Was your battery dead and you actually had to kick like one of us commoners on an old 426?

Yeah I had a TERRIBLE start. Dead last into the 1st corner I think. Beings we had to stand on the side of the bike, I decided to use the e-button this time. She took a few cranks to fire off. I ended up clawing my way upto 7th out of 21. Leaders we long clear of the bottle necks by the time I got there.

As for my verticle wheel stand going down the straight-away. Man I almost looped that thing 5th gear pinned. Scarred the sh*t outta me.

See ya all at Rimrock,

Moe

PS. Tyler, glad to see you riding a class you belong in, and not sandbaggin' in sportsman.