Sign in to follow this  

Clutch adjustment

Got a question. When I bought my bike (brand spankin' new) The clutch dragged a little even when the lever was fully pulled. Is this normal? I checked the play in it (per the owner's manual) and it looked to me like it was in spec. Today I noticed after my ride that the clutch dragged so much that when I clicked it into gear it wanted to ride away. So, I tightened the cable till the tire wouldn't try to move with the clutch pulled. Now it doesn't seem like it has any freeplay in it. Is the clutch SUPPOSED to drag a little? This doesn't make sense to me. How is it supposed to be anyway? Greg

:cry:

I've noticed that my clutch does that too, a 2004 S model. When I start in gear I can feel the bike pulling forward just a bit until the engine fires. I too tired adjusting the slack out of the cable but it doesn't seem to matter, it still pulls forward noticibly while the starter is turning over. As soon as the engine fires the forward pull diminishes a bit, but it's still there. I assumed it was designed that way and adjusted the clutch back to the normal slack.

Got a question. When I bought my bike (brand spankin' new) The clutch dragged a little even when the lever was fully pulled. Is this normal? I checked the play in it (per the owner's manual) and it looked to me like it was in spec. Today I noticed after my ride that the clutch dragged so much that when I clicked it into gear it wanted to ride away. So, I tightened the cable till the tire wouldn't try to move with the clutch pulled. Now it doesn't seem like it has any freeplay in it. Is the clutch SUPPOSED to drag a little? This doesn't make sense to me. How is it supposed to be anyway? Greg

Does this only occur when cold? My guess is most if not is all places in the US now one should run no thicker than 10W-40 oil. If you have heavier, try switching to a lighter oil according to the manual. If not, you may have warped plates in your clutch. Also check where the cable end at the clutch arm (on the engine) to see if the arm is bent, etc.

If the problem goes away when the bike is hot, it's almost surely too heavy of an oil.

I have 20w-50 in there now. Here in Az it can get REALLY hot, which is why I used the heavier oil. But, I noticed it from day 1 a little, that was with the original equipment oil in it. My brother has a KLX400, and I noticed the same thing on his. I can put lighter oil in it on the next change (probably not a bad thing since the weather is cooling off now anyway). I will also try to pay a little closer attention when I ride this weekend. I really noticed it after my ride sunday between the truck, and the garage. So, it was pretty well cooled. Greg

:cry: