Installed 42 pilot, now harder to start.

Hey all, with the stock jetting specs, my bike would usually take 6-8 kicks with the choke on to start. Or if it was hot out, no choke.

I installed the 42 pilot jet and kicked it over 20+ times with no start. Tried again 5 minutes later and pulled the choke out and it started much faster. I'll prob. replace the plug soon since its the stock plug (10 hours).

I went richer, do i need to go up more? Checking valves soon.

thanks in advance

I was hoping that the 42 would help it start better. I killed it during a race and had to have it hauled on a trailor back to the pits because it wouldnt start! I turned the idle up and that def. helped. It would start for a few revolutions and then die. I haven't touched the fuel screw. Maybe i need to screw it "in" some now?

How are you trying to start it? Mine starts 3-4 kicks (if i'm really lucky i have had it start on the first kick) with stock jetting. Try this. Turn the gas on, pull the choke. Twist the throttle twice to about 3/4 throttle (it should take you a second to do it each time) now try starting it. that's working for a lot of people so i hope it helps you. Also, i noticed on my spark plug that it had excess carbon on it (not a lot but it was black) as opposed to being white. this suggest the jetting may be rich instead of lean. In that case a larger pilot certainly won't help the issue.

hey zmann like dirtmachine said the bigger pilot wont help the starting issue pretty much like all of us (cause all our bikes are different)

try starting it different from cold every time until you find he easiest way then when its hot

i dont even need to pull the choke turn fuel offcoarse one good turn of the throttle and kick useally three or four kicks and shes going i can even start it with my hand but it does hurt

and then when its hot very rarely i pull the hot start in unless its sraight away goodluck just try as many different ways as you can

there we go alot better on the dame computer

zmann, just thought I would throw in my 2cents. I am no expert for sure, but I browse threads here often and have taken advice from people posting what works best to start your bike. I also installed the 42pilot, and fuel screw is turned out 2.5 - 2.75 turns. Some people even go to 3 turns out, and some even go to a 45pilot. Anyway, I think the easiest check would be to look at your plug...I doubt it will be blackish (rich), it will probably be a light tan color (lean). In which case I would check your fuel screw and if you are only 2 turns out, then try 2.5 and maybe 2.75 turns out. With having to kick it so many times like you posted, then it could be a valve issue but with only 10hours on your bike that would be a long shot. Hope that helps in some way ?

If your bike doesn't start after about ten kicks try this:

1. Roll the throttle wide open

2. Pull the hot start lever

3. Kick the engine over until it coughs (about 3 kicks)

4. Roll the throttle back, release the hot start

5. Kick it over like normal and it should start

I've used this method after crashing or stalling. It works every time. I have seen guys kicking and kicking in the pits, and I asked if I could try. I used the method and it has worked every time.

Hope this helps. ?

That starting method is mostly for when the bike is warm. There was someone that posted that he had to push his bike off of the track because his bike wouldn't start. It will help him.

Now, to your reply that rolling open the throttle when starting gives you more fuel. That is false. It gives you more air. If you pump the throttle open quickly it will give you more fuel because of the accelerator pump. But rolling open the throttle and kicking it several times will clean it out.

Try it!

Warm up the bike. Kill the engine. Twist the throttle quickly to dump some fuel in, or lay the bike over. Now, try to start it. Won't start, will it.

Now roll the throttle open slowly, pull hot start lever, kick it over several times until it coughs (fires slightly), roll the throttle back. Kick it over, and it should fire. This is because you cleaned the excess fuel out of the cylinder, just as you would with a manual compression lever.