Sign in to follow this  

Valves, Oil, Carb and such

Well, my new CRF 250X has about 10 hrs on it now so I was having another little look at it. I Started out just making some jetting changes. Nothing major yet since I've been riding mostly over 3000 feet and I have only removed the snorkle area on the airbox and cut the end off the diffuser. I decided to pull the carb just to have a look at things and I did notice that there was dirt in my carb here and there and none in the intake boot. The only likely culprit seems to be the throttle shaft so I sealed up the plastic cover over the cables when I put it back on. I'll have to check that again real soon.

Then I decided that I wanted the ability to quicky adjust my fuel screw but didn't want to have to order something and wait for it. So, I scrounged an old cable adjuster, did a bit of measuring, cutting and drilling, and soldered it onto my fuel screw. (see pic) I haven't taken a pic of it with the carb back on the bike, but I can if someone is interested.

f6de52f2.jpg

After that I decided to check the valves. Easiest thing in the world to do on this bike! Took me all of ten minutes since the seat and tank were already off. Both exhaust valves were exactly .011, right intake .005, left intake a VERY loose .004 or a VERY tight .005. I'm quite satisfied with that at this point.

As far as oil goes, It's not using any. I have found that the dipstick readings are wildly different with the bike cold, 3 min warm up / rest cycle per the manual, or fully warmed up. But if I'm consistant how I check it, there's no perceptable usage.

So I nothing to complain about yet with this bike :cry:

Doug :cry:

I love your work on the screw! But when I read "As far as oil goes, I'm not using any," I thought you were nuts! It took me a minute to read it correctly and realize that you didn't mean you are running it without oil in it!! Ha ha! :cry:

LOL, I guess need to be more careful the way I write things! Poor sentance structure leads to confusion :cry:

The fuel screw did turn out great. Only took a few minutes to do and it didn't cost a nickle!

Doug