Sign in to follow this  

I finally finished my conversion CRF150 with CR80 forks

O.K. folks, I finally finished my CR80 forks conversion. Everyone’s been talking about the conversion and there have been some misconceptions. I thought I’d clear the air and answer them. Also, I should add, a few of you knew I was doing this. It’s been like a year or so. I’ve just been busy. Anyway, here’s what I found.

BBR’s website says the CR80 front end will just pop on. I’ve talked to a few people that have done it and it’s possible, but the CR80 triple clamp’s stem is about ¼” shorter than the CRF150’s. It could work, but there aren’t a lot of threads to hold things together. I’m sure it would be fine, but I was a bit concerned so I called Reger Engineering and they popped out the stem for me. I was about $60-$70 to do that. I figured for the clear mind, I’d just do it.

While I was at it, I bought a billet steering stopper from them for about $25. If you weld, you could just weld on a stopper to your CRF frame, but this was just easier.

Now there’s the forks. I got heavier springs for the CR80 forks from BBR. About $70 or so. They are .42’s. That’s pretty much what everyone is running that’s doing this conversion.

Now here’s some of the holes nobody’s telling you. The CR80 front number plate won’t fit if you keep the rev box on the front of your bike. I, therefore, mounted it under my tank. I got some aluminum sheet metal, snips, and hammer and made a little bracket to hold it. There just happens to be a 6mm hole in the frame, right under the tank. I just screwed it to that. Totally cool. I also wanted to keep the key ignition on the bike. Why? I don’t know. I never use it, but I sort of like it. Make a bracket for that too and it’s connected to the screw that holds the number plate on.

The result? Well, it sure is more plush. That’s for sure. The BBR springs (CR80 springs, not CRF150 springs. Don’t get mixed up here) are perfect. They sounded stiff, but that wasn’t the case. They are perfect. Keep in mind that I was only running one BBR CRF150 spring and one stocker, which wasn’t that bad.

Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah, I also raised the forks about ½” in the triple clamps. I didn’t want to be too chopper’d out.

I finally took everything for a ride at Carnegie (Livermore, CA) today and I had to get used to them. With the CRF forks, I’d hold on tight because every once in a while, the rebound is pretty harsh.. . I don’t have to do that anymore, but I still tend to use a death grip on my bars. I’m dragging this out, aren’t I? O.K., sorry about that. There’s a really big difference. It rides like a real dirt bike. It’s just very forgiving . . . EVERYWHERE on the track. FINALLY! With the CR80 forks and my Hlebo’s shock, I think I’m done with suspension mods. Hummm. Now what do I do?

O.K. folks, I finally finished my CR80 forks conversion. Everyone’s been talking about the conversion and there have been some misconceptions. I thought I’d clear the air and answer them. Also, I should add, a few of you knew I was doing this. It’s been like a year or so. I’ve just been busy. Anyway, here’s what I found.

BBR’s website says the CR80 front end will just pop on. I’ve talked to a few people that have done it and it’s possible, but the CR80 triple clamp’s stem is about ¼” shorter than the CRF150’s. It could work, but there aren’t a lot of threads to hold things together. I’m sure it would be fine, but I was a bit concerned so I called Reger Engineering and they popped out the stem for me. I was about $60-$70 to do that. I figured for the clear mind, I’d just do it.

While I was at it, I bought a billet steering stopper from them for about $25. If you weld, you could just weld on a stopper to your CRF frame, but this was just easier.

Now there’s the forks. I got heavier springs for the CR80 forks from BBR. About $70 or so. They are .42’s. That’s pretty much what everyone is running that’s doing this conversion.

Now here’s some of the holes nobody’s telling you. The CR80 front number plate won’t fit if you keep the rev box on the front of your bike. I, therefore, mounted it under my tank. I got some aluminum sheet metal, snips, and hammer and made a little bracket to hold it. There just happens to be a 6mm hole in the frame, right under the tank. I just screwed it to that. Totally cool. I also wanted to keep the key ignition on the bike. Why? I don’t know. I never use it, but I sort of like it. Make a bracket for that too and it’s connected to the screw that holds the number plate on.

The result? Well, it sure is more plush. That’s for sure. The BBR springs (CR80 springs, not CRF150 springs. Don’t get mixed up here) are perfect. They sounded stiff, but that wasn’t the case. They are perfect. Keep in mind that I was only running one BBR CRF150 spring and one stocker, which wasn’t that bad.

Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah, I also raised the forks about ½” in the triple clamps. I didn’t want to be too chopper’d out.

I finally took everything for a ride at Carnegie (Livermore, CA) today and I had to get used to them. With the CRF forks, I’d hold on tight because every once in a while, the rebound is pretty harsh.. . I don’t have to do that anymore, but I still tend to use a death grip on my bars. I’m dragging this out, aren’t I? O.K., sorry about that. There’s a really big difference. It rides like a real dirt bike. It’s just very forgiving . . . EVERYWHERE on the track. FINALLY! With the CR80 forks and my Hlebo’s shock, I think I’m done with suspension mods. Hummm. Now what do I do?

Pretty cool. Post some pitcures.

Oh, to answer your last question (what now to do) I have the answer. Let's go riding :cry:

I have to admit, I was going to post pics (especially since I haven't seen anyone else do it without a BBR frame), but I couldn't figure out how to post the pics. I have to figure that out.

230F, I'll be hooking up with you soon. :cry:

I have to admit, I was going to post pics (especially since I haven't seen anyone else do it without a BBR frame), but I couldn't figure out how to post the pics. I have to figure that out.

230F, I'll be hooking up with you soon. :cry:

Read the FAQ for the forum and it will tell you how to post pics. All you need is a host site :cry:

How does it work in conjunction with the rear suspension? Did you up grade that as well? I rode a stock 150 with a "Works" shock on the rear and it felt SO much better. I have been looking for a used shock to replace mine, er I mean the Wife's bike.

I was curious if I could swap the rear with another shock from another bike, such as a '93 CR or something? Any ideas on that?

Hey 230F. I was fiddling with my computer. I did it! Here are some pics.

http://toneconsultant.tripod.com/toneconsultant/

:cry:

Tone, can you change all those pics to jpeg's instead of bitmaps. It's easy. On your computer, open the pictures in Paint, then click save as, then where the box is with the arrow on the right (and in the box says .bmp) click that and select .jpg. Then post those pictures

Those pictures are just too big for my computer. 56K will take all day view them :cry:

It works great doesn't it? The rear shock is almost as easy and it completes the package. FYI save your money, no need to press out the stem on the tripple clamps. I've been riding HARD on mine stock for about a year now. Remember it's not just the top nut that is holding your front end on, it is also the forks as well. Plus, gravity takes care of the landings. I run a 6.2 spring on the rear and 44s in the forks. Revalving is a must for MX also. :cry:

Thanks CRF150R5,

I was thinking that too, but I also need new bearings pressed on. I called my local shop they they was like, "Sure dude, I'll do it for $30 bucks." I was like, "Come on. even the monkey at the zoo doesn't charge that much." With that said, I figured I'd just do it through Reger. You are right though. I believe there is enough thread to hold things together. I'm doing a few things with Reger though so it's a relationship in the building stage. Good folks.

Heres a funny bit of info for you. Everyone on this site is looking super power or of this tiny motor. Everyone trying everything. Get this. I believe, if I recall correctly, Reger is getting 28HP out of his bikes. Is that crazy or what? :cry: hahaha. I laughed my butt off. 28HP? That's insane!. They are working on their website right now. When it's up. I'll share with everyone. Everyone's asking about all these mods like 428 chain and all the great power you get out of that. Phooey. Reger's the Frankenstein of small bore bikes. If you want balls, his the guy.:cry:

Hey guys,

I've been out of touch for a while. Thumpertalk doesn't let me know when someone responses anymore. I have to fix that. Anyway, I saw some questions so I thought I better answer them.

First, "How's it work with the rear suspension?" I got my rear shock revalved so it's great. Both ends work pretty good. I just called John Hlebo at Hlebo's suspension and we're working on finetuning.

230F, you also asked me to do the pics again. I'm working on that. Today. I hope it works. Give it tell tomorrow and hopefully it works.

http://toneconsultant.tripod.com/toneconsultant/

Hey, 230F, I went to Carnegie yesterday and smoked the field. YZ250F's, CRF250, and a couple CRF450's. Here's the downside though. After I ran everyone down, I realized there weren't any red sticker bikes. That means all the good riders weren't there. Oh well. It still felt good. :cry:

Awesome Tone. We've got to go to carnegie soon, esp since I'm getting a YZF soon, that is if the bikes in the shape the guy says it is...

The pics work though. Looks nice :cry:

We Want to g on the 24th of sunday?? :cry:

Nice work Tone! :cry: Looks like you have a very fast 150!

FYI: The location your using for the CDI box is where the regulator/rectifier goes on the 230. Nice bracket you made there!

:cry:

230F,

Going on the 24th? Rats! I can't do it. It's my daughter's B-day. YZ250F? Niccccccce. If you can swing that, that would be nice. It's a really nice bike. I don't understand how any 125cc could hang with that bike. Major power.

Toast, Thanks for the compliment and thanks for the info about what's under the 230's tank. I didn't know that. That would explain why that 6mm screw hole is there.

Oh yeah, I should clarify something. I talked to Reger Engineering about my Rev Box findings. I was a bit surprised that he would have missed this. He didn't. The rev box will fit if you buy their kits. Their kits are pretty much billet this and that. Pretty cool. I said, "Oh, then mine is a rig job, huh?" hahaha. Oh well. I works good for me.