Sign in to follow this  

need your 2 cents on a 1975 Xr 75

i have been looking for a good project bike to fix up for my nephew and i came across this bike on ebay what do you guys think it's worth and how much to fix ..i have never heard of a cam chain sliping but it could be the intake valve or maybe just a carb or air leak problem here's the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2491452406&category=50012 thanks btw it's only like 40 miles from me also

Probably it's an ignition problem. If was a bent valve, it wouldn't have any compression. Cam chain could have jumped, But I doubt it. Probably needs a new carb too.

But Side panels, stock pipe (I'm sure that one is pretty loud), Front number plate, seat cover, and maybe a trip to the plater, it's would be a fun little project. $350 tops.

hey thanks for the replies .... either way i am going to tear it down (8 or 9 yrs ago i tore down a xr 100 should be similar ) if i do get it and i'll be able to get an idea of what's wrong ..if it is the ignition how much do those go for ? i'll look but it looks like you know a lot about these ole' xr's ..im thinking i'll bid 275 or so and see what happens

Those are fun little bikes. I have a 78 xr80 that looks very close to that. if you pick it up and need a stock pipe for it let me know. I"ll sell you mine. These may be old but you can make them rip with some work.