Sign in to follow this  

Wheelies

Nearly got wheeling my S nailed. Managed to go from novice to 2nd - 5th sitdowns in a copuple of weeks. Feels natural now. I`ve got 2 questions for you wheelie gods:

1 How do you ride a wheelie for a slong as you want. I run out of revs.

2 stand ups. I tried one but as the bike comes up and I lean back it feels as though I`m opening her up cos I`m pulling on the throttle. What`s the key to stand ups?

I always seem to run out of revs in the lower gears....2 and 3 ...if I manage to get it into 4, I try to burp the throttle a bit....try not to hold it in one spot. I tend to blip blip blip...if you get what I mean.

As far as standing up goes...well...I can't go through the gears that way. Some of it has to do with the uncomfortable position of the stock bars. (I am 5'11")

I am getting better at it...but I can't really say that I go out just to practice wheelies.

If you are running out of revs your not at the balance point. You are using power to keep the wheel up, for really lllooooonnnngg wheelies you need to hold it up with balance.

If you get really good you can go back down from 5th to 2nd gear without letting it down.

If you are running out of revs your not at the balance point. You are using power to keep the wheel up, for really lllooooonnnngg wheelies you need to hold it up with balance.

If you get really good you can go back down from 5th to 2nd gear without letting it down.

So how do I find the balance point??? Is it the 12 oclock position???

The balance point is not 12. Its the point at which the bike is balanced on the rear wheel. Not falling back. Not falling forward. Balanced on one.

If you ride just a hair forward of the balance point you will eventually have to end the wheelie because you will rev out. If you ride on the balance point you can go for days.

If you aren't careful on the balance point you will land on your ass, break bones and your bike will do somersaults. :cry:

Don't forget to use the back brake also if you go to far back. Try to remain calm and resist the urge to bail off the back and just tap the rear brake.

If i get that sinking feeling things are going to end bad i try to grip the bike with my ankles a bit to make me feel more stable. Ive gone out and practiced before in first going past the balance point and bringing it back. helps out in a panic situation but you have to remember what your doing. If you have the stock rear fender on still that red reflector will hit the ground if you go too far:)

Yeah I looped my bike doing a wheelie on gravel. You can loop it. I can do sit down wheelies for a while but I have trouble with stand up ones on bikes. I can stand on the grab bar on quads and get the quad straight up and down and hold it like that forever though and you can really tell the balance point on sport quads and on bikes I can do pretty long wheelies sitting although I'm not the best at shifting through gears but I can't do ones standing up on the bike. Well I can but feels like i'm going to fall backwards.

Gravel is the worst place to practice since grip is hit or miss. Sounds like you missed at the wrong moment...

As for the balance point and throttle control, I am not the expert at either, although I have found that standups are now much easier than sit down types. -Sounds impossible to believe, but find a nice dirt trail (uphill) with good traction, and start practicing. Once you get the balance point on that, transition to level ground or pavement. The same will apply. -One thing that you will notice is that slower balance point wheelies get much easier as left/right balance is soo much easier standing up. For ever and a day I wanted to be able to standup, now I am weak at sit down wheelies. (03 CRF450)

I am in the market for a DRZ-S and hope that by this time next week I will have one. (Then soon motarded as well)

Anyway, back to balance point...I have seen good riders that will kill the motor on the rear wheel at decent speeds (40-50mph) and try to coast as far as they can. Some can do this for impressive lengths, which get even longer if the road starts to head downhill. (They are typically seated for these types of wheelies, probably to allow for better feathering of the rear brake)

When you see these wheelies, it makes you feel sorta weak, but then there are folks that ride everyday. I am lucky to MX twice a month. -Hence my desire for the DRZ...

Most of all, have fun and do not rush things. The uphill standup is one relatively safe way to learn, as you tend to NOT accelerate heading uphill. In fact, I have managed to start in 4th and finish in first before. It all comes down to a very steady throttle hand. (not blipping)

-MW

If you can keep the front tire at 10:30 or so, you can ride wheelies until the sun goes down...(or the pigs show up!) :cry::lol::cry: :cry:

My longest one so far is 3 miles on a winding country road. I just got the nads to BP three months ago too. :cry: :cry:

You can do it...you can do it all night long :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

do you guys have to worry about wind. it usually very windy here and i contend with it alot. I wheelie sitting down usually to throw my knees out to help stabalize things. any easier standing for the long haul. also 03drz, you said about 10:30 for the front, is that sitting or standing i would imagine sitting it would be close to right.

Sorry to enter this post so late but I got lost looking for info about my carb pissing fuel out the overflow durring steep wheelies.

I couldn't help notice that there is not enough emphasise on the most important aspect of the wheelie.

REAR BREAK!!!

I have to say the most important thing with the art of wheelieing is bar none the rear break, I cannot stress enough how important it is. This is the only thing that will save your ass from the pavement, learn it... use it... become one with it! It is the only way to take the wheelie to the next level, period!

You learn to master the rear break durring a wheelie and you will be able to pull the bike bike into the 12 position and feel confident doing so. Once you have this you can rock the wheelies in any gear.

Good Luck

Wind? Are you kidding? I live in Tracy. Known as the wind capital of the bay area.

But GMOR is the man, at least it sounds like it to me, when it comes to wheelies. I admit to not having the brake down on bikes. In fact, I anger myself due to my complete lack of ability to utilize it. What is even more strange, is that on a quad, I have no such issues and use it always. I guess that I just need a day of nothing but wheelies to get it to become natural. The problem is that there are so many other things to do on a bike that I can never focus for more than a few minutes. SToppies for example. I love trying em, but suck nonetheless.

Bring on the 17s, and maybe that will improve...

-MW