Sign in to follow this  

bicycle brakes

Out of habit from riding bicycles, I want to grab the front brake lever ...

just wondering ...

how many of you, who use bikes with and without engines did re-arrange the brakelevers of their bicycles?

my frontbrake has to be on the right, no matter how silly the cables look :cry:

I haven't done that but I can see where that would help. No one I ride with regularly has done that although they've talked about it.

I've gotten so used to using the front brake on my bicycle that I didn't even touch the back brake at all on my ride (dirtbike) yesterday. That's probably not such a good habit to get into :cry:

all my bicycles are still setup normally. i've never really had any issue with it, but i've been riding and racing bicycles since '82 or so, and i still commute to work most days by bicycle. for those who ride less often and don't develop separate habits for bicycling, it's probably a smart idea to switch the brakes.

my brother has the brakes switched on his bikes, and i almost launched myself on his triathlon bike when i grabbed too much of the wrong brake.

fwiw, many cyclocross racers switch the brakes because (i think) as they are approaching a hurdle and ready to dismount (on the left side of the bike, with the left hand on the bars and the right hand on the top tube or seat) they like to have the rear brake handy. i was never really able to figure just how that helped, but perhaps the dismounts in northern california and seattle (one of the years i want to national championships) are lower speed than the euro cyclocross races.

I always switch mine to the correct (motorcycle) side. After 35 years of riding, in a panic situation, my brain always says "The right brake is the front brake".

my 1st road bike was italian, which had the brakes the right way. Ever since then, all my bicycles (which is up to 5 right now) have the brakes reversed. I just warn people ahead of time if they ride them.

I tested a friends downhill mountain bike with brakes the "wrong" way, and yes, on the first technical section went over the bars. :cry:

Switch 'em and stop the brain damage.

Mark

My front brake is on the right on both my Mtn bikes, haven't had time to change it on my road bike.... :cry:

Gotta minimize the confusion factor, plus it confuses people that ride my bicycle :cry: