Sign in to follow this  

230 Fork Seals

I also blew out a fork seal on the right side and i got the top one out fine but I couldnt get the bottom one out. Any out there re-build a 230 fork? I'd really appreciate any help, thanks!

nobody knows how to replace the lower fork seals??

Everything you need to know is in your Factory Manual.

Seek and ye shall find............

I've never had to replace mine. I don't jump 30+ footers.

nobody knows how to replace the lower fork seals??

Everything you need to know is in your Factory Manual.

Seek and ye shall find............

I've never had to replace mine. I don't jump 30+ footers.

I jump 30+ footers and the seals are just dandy. Doesn't bottom out neither!

I believe you will need to disassemble the fork to remove the seal. You will need to remove the bolt in the bottom of the fork leg, and the fork should slide apart, and bump the seal out at the same time. An air impact will come in handy here as the inner parts sometimes spin when trying to remove by hand. I have never needed to work on my 230's forks yet for this reason.(seals) I would recommend getting the correct procedure from the proper manual or technician.

Thanks for the advice coeshow. I had the fork apart to where i had the top seal out and the allen bolt out of the bottom, along with the fork spring and all left over fluid. So basically you just pull up on the slider until it forces the lower seal out? Being an automotive technition doesnt leave much time to play with my bikes too much so I figured I'd ask around and see what I could find before tearing into it. Let me know if I understand you right, thanks!

I dont have a service manual for the 230 yet but it would be a good idea to have though, especially now. Its only the right side that is leaking and the bike was never jumped hard at all, plus i only weigh 155lbs so its not too much of a strain vs a much larger person would on the bike. Thanks

I recommend removing the fork from the bike because if you don't, the bike will need to be raised fairly high, or leaned back to allow the fork to slide down far enough to come off of the tube. Also, there may be some parts that "fall off" during the removal procedure. On the forks of this type that I have worked on, it is easier to reassemble with the forks in an inverted position so that these parts will not slide off when reassembling. Again, I have not yet needed to work on my 230's forks in this area, so I can't give any real details on them, even though I am fairly certain they are most likely the same as ones I have worked on!! Good Luck !!

Are you suer the fork seal is blown? A couple of times I have had one appear blown and dumping oil everywhere.. Take a think card, I use my distric card, slide it past the seal and run it all the way around. Often, dirt gets stuck in there and lets oil puke out.