Sign in to follow this  

Trivia Time again - Last of the Trans AMA Pics

These are the last of the "good ones" from the 3 rolls of Trans AMA film. I will need to digitize more negatives for more questions.

This rider was the first US MXGP World Champion. Where is his winning bike parked?

sweeper.jpg

Who is this rider?

Rooster.jpg

Who is in second place setting up this rider for the pass?

Hescoming.jpg

Who else was part of "Team Acid Rock" with this rider?

fullspeed.jpg

Which factory team was the second place rider on with Brad Lackey?

fightforfirst.jpg

Answers will be posted later on.

1) Brad's bike is parked in his own living room.

2) Gary Chaplan? Rex staten? Really don't know.

3) Roger DeCoster? (Looks like a suzuki jersey).

4) No clue at all, I will be interested in the answer. (Wasn't my hero till he got on a Kaw)

5) Pomroy, Lackey, Tripes, and Ellis all were on one of the most potent Honda teams ever (78). Too bad they still couldn't stop the Hurricane (Although Lackey was in Europe).

Awsome pics. :cry:

1) Brad Lackey. He's shown on a Husky. If you are assuming where his '82 RM500 is parked - I would assume it's in his garage.

2) Is that Weil? (W. Germany, I believe)

3) That's Bimbo.

4) Jammin' Jimmy W.

5) That's Team Can-Am.

Please scan what you have left. You really ought to host all of those pics somewhere. :cry:

If you are assuming where his '82 RM500 is parked - I would assume it's in his garage.

I have seen a VERY trick RM500 works bike in the back of a motorcycle transporter. A guy that picks up used bikes from us, and transports them interstate had it in the back of his truck one day. The story he told me was that it was one of Brad Lackey's old factory race bikes. :cry: It was supposedly brought over for a vintage MX meeting last year, and he tells me it now belongs to a dealer in New South Wales, Australia. Awesome looking bike, trick upside down forks etc. Don't know if it's THE bike, but it did look great. This guy always has rare stuff in his truck, he transports a lot of collector bikes etc. Maybe BC knows more? :cry:

JohnnyOFast is right on target on most of the answers. Bul206 didn't read some of the questions carefully. So far I am waiting on correct answers to #2 and #4.

I have thought about sharing these old TransAMA and National picks somewhere. I am trying to get all my negatives together but I have moved about 7 times since these were taken and I haven't located all of them yet. You will see them here first whenever I have more to share. Keep in mind these are only low resolution jpg's. The high res ones could be made into poster size prints they are so good. The file size is way too big to ever consider linking them here. :cry:

Hints: #2 This rider is no longer with us.

#4 "Team Acid Rock" was the unoffical name these 2 riders had for themselves when they were on the same factory team.

#33 then would have to be either Jim West or Gaylon Mosier, I gotta go with Galyon. :cry:

He was hit by a truck riding his bicycle on the side of the road while training. Gaylon also became one of my hero's when he jumped on the Factory KX480 and started winning right away. I though for sure he was going to be the 500 National Champion that year. (I don't know anything about Jim West except that he got killed during a race at Saddleback?)

Still no clue on #4, Tim Hart?

Who ever Jimmy's teamate was he did not make the top 10 in either the 250 or 500 nationals in '75.

:cry:

Gaylon Mosier is correct. He was a great rider and died just as he was coming into his own. He came up to me once at a National race while waiting for his 500 race when a very strange thing happened. Magoo Chandler was just coming up as a 125 rider and had the lead in the first moto. Just as Chandler was coming around to the Start Finish line with the pack on his tail (including Hannah) an AMA Official somehow was standing in the middle of the track. Magoo came up out of a gulley onto the start straight in mid air and had no choice but to clip the official. Chandler immediately tossed his bike aside giving up the lead and ran back to the official who had a very badly broken arm. This was as the pack was going on either side of the two, on a high speed straight away. I was standing there shocked and Mosier came up to me and asked what happened. We stood there and talked and watched as they took some time to load the official in the ambulance. Chandler stayed with the official the whole time.

Second hint on #4 - Team Acid Rock was formed by the two good friends while they were on the Kawasaki team. They also were my inspiration to buy a first year KX250 in '74.

Gaylon Mosier is correct. He was a great rider and died just as he was coming into his own. He came up to me once at a National race while waiting for his 500 race when a very strange thing happened. Magoo Chandler was just coming up as a 125 rider and had the lead in the first moto. Just as Chandler was coming around to the Start Finish line with the pack on his tail (including Hannah) an AMA Official somehow was standing in the middle of the track. Magoo came up out of a gulley onto the start straight in mid air and had no choice but to clip the official. Chandler immediately tossed his bike aside giving up the lead and ran back to the official who had a very badly broken arm. This was as the pack was going on either side of the two, on a high speed straight away. I was standing there shocked and Mosier came up to me and asked what happened. We stood there and talked and watched as they took some time to load the official in the ambulance. Chandler stayed with the official the whole time.

Second hint on #4 - Team Acid Rock was formed by the two good friends while they were on the Kawasaki team. They also were my inspiration to buy a first year KX250 in '74.

Oh man, you had a '74 KX 250??? O.K. I take it back, even though you ARE a Chief's fan you must be an O.K. guy. :cry:

Terry Clark? Gary Semics? Bin Flipflap? Bin Drink'n? Bin Loaf'n.

Yeah, I really thought gaylon was gonna get up to Hannah & Tripes level that year. What a shame. Can you name the one and only supercross he ever won? :cry:

(Yeah, I knew ya could.) :cry:

Oh, and what a great picture. Your photographic skills are top notch. How did you learn the trade or did you just pick it up? You always seem to have the right speed and exposure where as my pictures, well,,,,,,, What do you want from a Kodak 110 instamatic? :cry:

Well not to be a know it all because the AMA has a press kit online that is my bible for racing. Mosier actually won 2 SX's. One on a 250 Kawasaki in Anaheim in '78 and perhaps one of the only Maico riders to ever win a SX in the 500 class in LA in '75. If I would research it further I would know if that is true or not.

The answer on Weinert's partner in crime on Team Acid Rock was none other than Brad Lackey. I thought having him lead the pictures off would be a hint.

As far as taking pictures goes I learned the basics in photography class in high school. Then for a Summer job I worked in a darkroom all day printing bad check artists. I knew what I liked to see when watching races so I just found the views I liked, made sure the lighting was decent and watched thru the lenses for the right moment. Knowing who the better riders were certainly helped.

Here is a picture of yours truly leading a moto on my KX250 in '74. This was taken by my sister in law using an Instamatic. I think she careered it with that camera.

LakeCityFastTurn74.jpg

:cry: I hit the motherlode.

After searching my house for the last week I finally found my cache of mid to late '70's MX racing negatives. There were more than I thought. By my count I have somewhere between 700 and 800 B&W's of that era. These are only the National and Trans AMA races I covered.

I have at least that many local races I took pictures for as well. It is going to take a while to digitize the important ones but the trivia photos will continue for a bit longer, sometime in the near future. :cry:

What a treasure, keep 'em coming. Even though I know none of these answers (born in '75) I love the pics. Thanks for sharing. :cry: