Sign in to follow this  

90 mph on a 250X!!!!

I was riding home after a great day's riding on Sunday. There weren't too many cars out on the road so I decided to take the bike flat out just for the hell of it. The speedo fitted to the bike was registering just about 90mph before I decided I couldn't stand the noise from the engine any more.

I've never hit the rev limiter, so I don't know how many revs I had left, but I reckon I could have squeezed a few more mph out of it. :cry:

Either the speedo is wildly optimistic or I've just set a personal best for a 250. If only Honda fitted a 6 speed box........

Wind at your back and you can hit 90. I did with my 250X on a dry lake bed with a 10- 15 MPH wind at my back. Verified with my XR 600 speedo that has been calibrated. That was the only time I was on the rev limiter, and then for about 2 minutes. 250X has stock exhaust and only air box cut, JD jetting, skid plate and hand guards. 600 has been clocked at over 100 with its own and other speedo's. Will I do it again, NO!!!! To much time on the limiter and I want the engine to last as long as posible, it is only a fun bike, not a racer.

Stock, I know it sounds strange. I couldn't believe it. But he checked out on me during the run and pegged the speedo at 100+, he did not pull from me as if I was only going 70. We verified it with another shorter run off the limiter at 80. Like I said dead flat lake bed (they run speed runs there like Boniville) and 10-15 MPH wind at my back, so I was pushed along. I have been clocked at 55 on a slight uphill sandy 2-track road with a slight side wind. Speedo checked and verified on my dual sport bike. It has to as I use it for mileage with a roll chart and on the street.

&%$#@! my X will only do 71 wound up as tight as it will go, I must be living on planet earth :cry:

Well if an X does 90 mph I wonder what an R will do tapt wide? :cry:

Not as fast...no wide ratio box in the R. Don't know what the top speed on the X really is, but mine is just slightly faster than an 03 Predator with a jet kit, K&N, and Big Gun Exhaust. :cry:

71 MPH in Colorado? I think that is pretty good. What altitude are you at. If you are in altitude (5,000" +) you loose power. Everytime they race at Pikes Peak the bikes do not have the power they do at a lower elevations no matter how well it is jetted. Not as much air up there. Remember I had a tail wind going at the time. Have an extra push and it goes faster, go into a head wind and you loose speed. That is why on the salt flats no one runs with a wind blowing, they have to have a return run within a certain speeed. My return speed was no where near as fast. Anyone said, will it hit 90? YES. My return runs I did not clock but I would say they probably were only in the 60's and that is in a tuck. This is at a place I have raced at for about 40 years, I know what works for jetting there to get the most out of the bike. My 2-smokes I jetted every weekend for 10 degree temp differences. My CRF I jet for summer or winter conditions, it does make a difference. Also forgot to note, at that time I was running 20% race fuel / 80% premium gas.

I remember hearing a figure that said you give up 3% for ever 1000 feet of elevation increase. If that is th ecase, a person in colorado could lose 15% before they even got into the mountains!

Ok guys I got a question... I was riding my R on a field, gently sloping dowhhill, no wind, bouncing of the rev limiter in 5th gear... about how fast would that have been with stock gearing? I'm kinda curious :cry:

Ok guys I got a question... I was riding my R on a field, gently sloping dowhhill, no wind, bouncing of the rev limiter in 5th gear... about how fast would that have been with stock gearing? I'm kinda curious :cry:

Faster than your avatar. :cry:

Faster than your avatar. :cry:

:cry: Perhaps

I got 83.75 MPH out of my CCC modded X on a GPS. Was not hitting the rev limiter yet, flat road. Maybe could have gone a bit faster, ran out of room. :cry:

Stock gearing, stock tire (good shape), on paved road the R model hits the rev limiter at a little over 75 MPH using a GPS. Not sure how fast on softer dirt but would expect closer to a max of 65 to 70 MPH.

Stock gearing, stock tire (good shape), on paved road the R model hits the rev limiter at a little over 75 MPH using a GPS. Not sure how fast on softer dirt but would expect closer to a max of 65 to 70 MPH.

Ok thanks :cry: