Sign in to follow this  

Jumping Cow race report

Because I had to work on Saturday I didn't head out to the Jumping Cow till

Sunday morning. Got out there and through sign up and ended up on row 2.

They told us at sign up that because of lack of help the race format would

be a little different this year. 1 loop 14 miles long. The start of the

loop was the check in, the end of the loop was the check out.

There was only 2 other guys on my minute but one was a guy from my class.

Then there was only 1 guy on minute 1. We started on about 200 yards of

farm road and that was the last open stuff of the whole loop. We dumped

right into farm land river bottom. They had us threading around the

Cottonwood trees for a bit popped us out on a little hillside and then to a

mud hole that I was told was man made. The first loop through I went right

through the middle and just barely made it through. The rest of the loops I

went way right and didn't have any problems. I heard a few good stories at

the end of the day about guys that got buried in the hole.

We went a little bit further and had a 7 foot straight drop off, luckily

there was a guy standing there telling you to slow down or it might have

been really ugly. This put us back into the river bottom and through a bunch

of willows. I hope everyone had hand guards for this section!!! then a

short distance to the first OB check.

We snaked through some more willows for a ways then up and down a river

bank. This got us to my favorite obstacle on the course a uphill that was

almost straight up and down. They gave us a little run at it and there was

a small lip about 1/2 up that if you hit just right you would fly all the

way up and land on top. To much fun.

The course then opened up a little and also got into the sand. The last

couple of laps the sand got really whooped out and on loop 3 I ended up land

darting in to one of the faces of a sand whoop. There was a guy sitting on

the bank that when I got up he started clapping, guess it was a good show.

After a bunch of sand, about where they had the 10 mile marker, they got

us into a bunch of log crossings. Not that there had not all ready been a

bunch, these were just a little bigger. We did that for a ways then they

started us into some really tight turns, back and forth to end the loop.

The short guys did 3 loops, the long course did 4. I was getting the

loop done in about 45 minutes. A National level MX guy runs two 35 minute

motos, this was like doing 4! Before heading out for my 4th loop the idea of

sitting down and having a beer was really sounding good. I ended up carding

a 37 for the day and was very beat to say the least. Not sure where that

placed me because I left before results were posted.

I loved the course and thought the crew did a great job. They took out

some of the technical log crossings of the past years but in making the

loops longer actually made it more physically demanding. Great job guys!!!

Thanks for the udpate 'Dawg. I was sitting home watching the Donkeys yesterday and wondered how it was going.

Hope you survived the darting incident without much damage...

L8s,

Merf

I'll tell you what, after the first loop I was BEAT and was

considering going back to the pop-up for some brown pop!

The right side was definitley the way to go through the

mud hole. Luckily for me, some one was stuck in the middle

the first lap when I got there so I picked a good line

the first time!

As for that straight up the hill climb, I saw a guy do it

right before me or I wold have had my doubts!! But since I

saw that it was possible I just pinned it and flew right on

up, hit the little kicker lip and BAM I made it, pretty COOL!

I did not do very well on the first lap, I was riding pretty slow, I think I got a 34 on the first lap.

I went out on the second loop, got a good start and was in

front of everyone on my row. I was really flying (well at

least flying for me) until I center punched a tree and went

flying over the handlebars. I hit it hard enough to knock

the light off the EXC. Luckily that was the extent of the

damage. Pretty mad though, because I was finally in front

of my bud Miguel and he was no where to be seen before I hit that tree!!

Anyway I ended up with a 23 that lap and the next lap.

Including the extra seconds I ended up with a 81.

Finished 10th. Looking at the scores that slower first lap

cost me about 5 places.

Anyway, I am hobbling around the office today, got a nice

bruise on the thigh from the tree debacle, should be

interesting to see how the WORCS race goes this weekend....

PS - Oh yeah, to the guy on the WR with the white EE

handguards, sorry I smashed handguards with you while

passing! Not intentional!!!

I had a good time too. I felt good in the twisty stuff, especially the grass track type section at the last couple of miles, but I was suffering on the 125 in that deep sand and over some of the logs. I was one of two riders in 200A, and I got beat. He had a 32, I did a 36 with their weird tie-breaker method. I thought the conditions were great, and I liked the course (although I was scared of it after the first lap). Next stop Milliken!

Nope Merf no significan't damage from the crash but came into that check :02 past the top of my minute, the last lap I had a :05 dohhh!!!!

Bryce that 125 would have been nice in half the course and a handfull in the sand. That sand even sapped my 250 down pretty good, that stuff was deep. The scoring I didn't understand either and had to ask then figured everyone was scored the same.

Great race, lousy result. I was one that got stuck in the mudhole, had to go left cause there were riders stuck on the right, and boy was that a bad idea! My front wheel was glued into the mud, the mud crew tried pulling me forward out of it with a chain, no luck. Then they put the chain around my rear wheel and pulled me back out of the mudhole, the big problem was when the guy(I think it was Tim Lyons, the promoter!) put the chain around my rear wheel, he put it over the valve stem. So the first good tug and the stem broke hence a flat to end my day. Pretty bummed as the 2nd loop was going much better than the first, but blame myself mostly for picking a bad line. Funny how you pick 5 good lines, you may gain 25 seconds; you pick one bad line and that ends your day. This is two years in a row I've DNFd the jumping cow, maybe next year I'll work it! :cry:

My son Curtis did really well, ended up 2nd, behind Ian Blythe by only 1 minute. Of course Ian was on an 80cc, that had to be hard.

I'm working Milliken, so see ya there!

The way that they scored it made getting to a check before they flipped the card basically worthless. It is actually more fair than traditional enduro scoring, but then again it wasn't traditional scoring. The way that they usually score them if I came in at 8:59 four times my score would be a 32 and some tie-breaker points, and if somebody else did 8:01 on 3 laps and 9:01 on the fourth, I would beat them even though they were faster for the day overall. This is not the case with how they scored it in Agate. It is like electoral vs. popular vote in the Pres. election, kind of. It is actually more fair the way that they scored Jumping Cow, but it does take away from trying to make it to a check before the flip. So don't worry about the :02 and :05 endurodog, they didn't hurt you like they usually would.

Great reports guys!

Now ya got me thinkin of tryin one of them there endura thingies :cry: next year. Sounds like I'll need to start double dosing on the geritol before then though....

I thought they did a great job on the race! One of the more fun events I have done. Cant understand why there werent at least 300 riders there, hard to beat a race 1 1/2 hr from the metro area. The format was great, and the course was really well done IMO.

You got me Rex, good job! I carded a 38, didnt manage my energy level for the last loop and it cost me. You had a great last lap...

I understand that there is quite a bit more untapped terrain for more technical single track. Next year should be great as well!

Tin

You had a great last lap...

Thanks, it made up for my first thats for sure. Josh Aumiller didn't catch me till near the 2nd OB check and it took him a while to get by. He said I was ripp'n on that one. Kinda nice to hear from him.

Very fun event but I'm still a little sore today!

I haven't been riding at all this year and I decided to do the jumping cow with a buddy of mine who also hasn't been riding this year. I have a new steering damper and thought, "What a great place to test this out!".

Ididnt even realize I was fighting the damper on turn setups until I couldn't hold on to the bars anymore. It was to late by the time I figured it out. I was gassed out. I was on miunte 33.

My partner limped back to the truck after going down hard on the first lap. He managed to actually bend an ascerbis hand guard. He did it on one of those jolly gully embankments on the way down.

I got a call from him on thursday. He actually broke his arm in the tumble.

I had a great time! I DNFed but had a great time. For anyone thats intrested, Tim Lyons is a sadist. A genius, but a sadist as well. That first drop off almost made me quit!! The guy next to it said it's a steep hill.............Thats a cliff folks, I dont care what you say. I Did fine in the mudhole, but, I actually stopped for a couple of minutes and studied for a good line through it.

I haven't made a decsision about Milliken yet. I did chat with some guys that said this was one of the more physically demanding races in the series. What do you guys think?

Race

Ididnt even realize I was fighting the damper on turn setups until I couldn't hold on to the bars anymore

I had a buddy do that once at a race. He was trashed by the end of the race. But I'm not gonna say anything that would give his name away. (Your secert is safe with me Merf)

did chat with some guys that said this was one of the more physically demanding races in the series

I would say he is absolutly wrong. Nebraska, Wyoming, we will see what they do with Kachina. The first Miliken was not that hard, they didn't have anything that technical either. It's a blast though!!!! but I wouldn't think of it as hard. Four 6 mile loops, with rest in between then a last time 4 laps all at once.

Everyone can look at it different though.

I had a great time was very demanding, I rode on minute 8 hadnt rode an enduro in three years so this was nice my first lap totaled 16:32 or something and I didnt understand the scoring at all but rode hard I had arm pump on this race more than ever before in my life this is after a solid weeek of uber water pedialite vitamins potassium carbs,no cafine you name it I tried it my left hand was toast four miles into it,Im in pretty good shape. This has got me thinking big time about an auto clutch, I think it would have been great I rode the B class so had to do four laps (thought about bribing the race people to scratch my B to a C, I was beat and will train more for the races next year. My total for the race was 63;58 I think what does that mean? Great race will be back and in better shape for sure RMEC did a great job, Was the camera guy there taking pictures?

I didn't see the photo guy at this one.

Really the credit needs to go to the promoter, Tim Lyons, and his crew!!! They did awsome!!!!!

I had a buddy do that once at a race. He was trashed by the end of the race. But I'm not gonna say anything that would give his name away. (Your secert is safe with me Merf)

Thanks bro, I'll make sure and not mention your pre-lubed anus and trip to the doctor.

Merf

Thanks bro, I'll make sure and not mention your pre-lubed anus and trip to the doctor.

Man, you guys must really know how to party. :cry::cry: