Sign in to follow this  

Identify This Mystery Rider.

Looks like Magoo's riding style but it is hard to tell from the picture. I believe I first noticed him riding 125's on a Suzuki.

Could be a Maico. Can't tell. He is wearing DG clothing. DG mostly worked on Japanese bikes.

Another wild style rider was Darrel Shultz. Him and Magoo were both from Northern California.

Hannah may have ridden on the edge much of the time but he never crashed as much as Magoo.

Hannah may have ridden on the edge much of the time but he never crashed as much as Magoo.

I don't think anyone crashed as much as Magoo. I think he was the origin of one of my least liked sayings in motocross "If your not crashing your not trying hard enough".

That is such B.S. :cry:

If crashing was the secret to success, I would be a factory rider :cry:

I just crashed again this weekend, bruised my ribs... that always seems to take a LONG time to heal. My stupid dog ran in front of me as I was just putting the front wheel down from a wheelie, I grabbed the front brake by instinct :cry:

Then I grabbed some dirt. I now have a new rule about wheelies and the front brake :cry:

Magoo started on Hodaka's

quickly moved to CZ's, cause his hero Lackey was riding them

rode maico's till their demise

got a suzuki factory ride in 1981

results from that landed him a Honda ride for a few years.

Then he got with Kawasaki, very short lived

picked up by KTM

then back to Kawasaki, where he got paralyzed.

He rode for almost everyone but YAMAHA. :cry:

Magoo started on Hodaka's

quickly moved to CZ's, cause his hero Lackey was riding them

rode maico's till their demise

got a suzuki factory ride in 1981

results from that landed him a Honda ride for a few years.

Then he got with Kawasaki, very short lived

picked up by KTM

then back to Kawasaki, where he got paralyzed.

He rode for almost everyone but YAMAHA. :cry:

Although you did name the brand I was looking for, it was out of context. Danny was riding a KTM 125 out of a local shop when he did his first national (or when he was "discovered" I could be wrong but thats what I had heard.) I do not know any other details. :cry: :cry:

Magoo was riding Pentons all up and down N. Calif before he went pro. His first pro race that I remember was at Hangtown in Plymouth 1976 where he won his qualifier and probaby crashed-out of both motos.

Back in the mid-70s I used to race at Campbell's Ranch (Argyll Park) just outside Dixon and I would see Magoo's dad stack 2-3 old car tires next to his bike at the starting line so he could get his feet to touch ground. He sure was fun to watch race....